Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rejecting an accepted job contract

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend accepted and signed the contract for a new IT job in Belfast because the job she was holding out for was no longer available, however this job has now come up again and the company has offered it to her.

She is now upset because it is the job she really wanted and now isn't sure what she can do. She doesn't take up the position of the first job until she graduates in July.

Where does she stand legally? Can she contact the company and get out of the contract as she has not started or what are her options?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Accept the new job offer and inform the company in Belfast that she will no longer be able to take up the position. They may be miffed and but they can't make her work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Accept the new job offer and inform the company in Belfast that she will no longer be able to take up the position. They may be miffed and but they can't make her work for them.

In terms of legality, do they have any hold over her, as in, could there be any reproductions? Apart from them obviously being peed off at her for wasting their time

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pf85 wrote: »
    In terms of legality, do they have any hold over her, as in, could there be any reproductions? Apart from them obviously being peed off at her for wasting their time

absolutely none. they havent suffered any loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

absolutely none. they havent suffered any loss.

Depends on the contract she signed but I wouldn't imagine there is anything they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Only if she got the job on the casting couch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I presume you mean repercussions?

If so then it depends. Is she being hired in a job where she is required to do a training course, one her employers have already paid for, where this is explicitly stated in the contract? If so she could be liable for the cost of the course.

Otherwise probably not.

Only if she got the job on the casting couch!

Well she did say it was quite a friendly and relaxed atmosphere but hopefully not that friendly :P
    I presume you mean repercussions?

If so then it depends. Is she being hired in a job where she is required to do a training course, one her employers have already paid for, where this is explicitly stated in the contract? If so she could be liable for the cost of the course.

Otherwise probably not.

There are no external costs in terms of courses etc. They said that they would offer internal training during the first 3 months but they specifically stated this was not chargeable in the contract as it would be provided by another team member.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There are no external costs in terms of courses etc. They said that they would offer internal training during the first 3 months but they specifically stated this was not chargeable in the contract as it would be provided by another team member.

ok, was just thinking of my own sector, first job after college pays for external fees but you are stuck there for 3.5 years. Some of the people in my course wanted to change jobs before commencement and were told pay us back your fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Yes she can turn it down with no repercussions. I have heard of people signing and just not bothering to show up. She should just ring them and be honest as to why she's not taking if without being anyway negative about the company that's she's turning down and explain she interviewed with new co before them and thought she wasn't going to get it. She can apologise for wasting their time and that's it. Happens more then you'd think! Just try leave it as positive as possible-that's my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If she is telling them she is taking a new job, make sure the name of the company stays out of it. Some mouths might have bitter tastes.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all your replies they have been very helpful.

She has decided to take up the advice given and phone the company to let them know she cant take up the position because she is accepting the job she really wants.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is not an infrequent event. However, if she was recruited for the 'refused' job by a recruitment agency she would be advised to do a bit of bridge building with them, in case she wants a job advertised by them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

|As an aside, if the company decided to ring her up and tell her that they got a better candidate would there be any repercussions for the company ? Lets assume same situation with a notice period of a month in the contract .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could use the fact its in a completely different country to rustle up some excuse re difficulties with working in uk

Advertisement