Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert subject

Options
  • 19-04-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm currently in 5th year and my subjects are;
    English (H) ,Irish (H) ,French (H), Maths (L) (hopefully not counting for points), Business (H), Biology (H), Geography (H) and Music (H)

I feel pretty confident in all subjects except for French and Irish, out of the two I favour Irish.

My question is should I drop to Lower French? My goal is to get 600 (or as close as possible) and I feel like me trying to keep up French even though realistically I won't be getting an A is taking up a lot of time..

I've also been toying with the idea of taking up another subject (like home ec) that although it clashes with my timetable, I could study the course at home (my mothers a chef) and substitute it for Irish as I again, don't feel like an A in Irish is feesible.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

You wont believe how easy it is to do well in French with a little effort..theres easily topics predicted for the papers that do generally come up and you already have 25% done with the oral before going in I really wouldn't drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Seanf999 wrote: »
    English (H) ,Irish (H) ,French (H), Maths (L) (hopefully not counting for points), Business (H), Biology (H), Geography (H) and Music (H)

I feel pretty confident in all subjects except for French and Irish, out of the two I favour Irish.

My question is should I drop to Lower French? My goal is to get 600 (or as close as possible) and I feel like me trying to keep up French even though realistically I won't be getting an A is taking up a lot of time..

I've also been toying with the idea of taking up another subject (like home ec) that although it clashes with my timetable, I could study the course at home (my mothers a chef) and substitute it for Irish as I again, don't feel like an A in Irish is feesible.

Any thoughts?

Since you do business, I'd recommend doing Economics. I heard it's a very short course, and most of the material consists of definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

You wont believe how easy it is to do well in French with a little effort..theres easily topics predicted for the papers that do generally come up and you already have 25% done with the oral before going in I really wouldn't drop

Our teacher has already ingrained it into us that we must know every French word and saying under the sun because to do well in French you must be fluent..
    She expects all students to get up at 8 every Saturday and start study at nine, finish at 12 take a hour or so break and then finish your last 2 hours or so.. Also we should be doing exam papers every second weekend on top of the study and be doing listening comprehensions every so often..
    Keeping up with the written work alone is a mountain of work..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our teacher has already ingrained it into us that we must know every French word and saying under the sun because to do well in French you must be fluent..
    She expects all students to get up at 8 every Saturday and start study at nine, finish at 12 take a hour or so break and then finish your last 2 hours or so.. Also we should be doing exam papers every second weekend on top of the study and be doing listening comprehensions every so often..
    Keeping up with the written work alone is a mountain of work..

She obviously has high standards. Perhaps when she did the Leaving that level of work was required for an A. Nowadays about 12% of people taking the Higher paper get an A1 or A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

spurious wrote: »
    She obviously has high standards. Perhaps when she did the Leaving that level of work was required for an A. Nowadays about 12% of people taking the Higher paper get an A1 or A2.

Everyone has assumed that the level of work she requires as a minimum is A1 standard..
    I didn't actually know that so many people got As!
    When she is marking our essays she says "so it's marked out of 30 but I won't ever give over 24, so you don't get cocky"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Any thoughts?

It's always useful to have 7 HL subjects because there's always a risk that something could go wrong on the day.

One thing I'd defintiely say, is Home-Ec wouldn't be an easy subject to take up. I don't personally do it but the work some of my friends have put into their Journals over the past few months is crazy. There's no way you'd get it all done and the whole course as well in about a year and get a good grade.

Advertisement