Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering studying Politics and Geography?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm in 5th year and I'm thinking of studying politics and Geog at trinity.
    There's a number of reasons for this,
    1-Im good at the subjects, I don't need to learn off essays, I just use headlines.
    2-I like and I'm good at the socio-economic side of the course, even though it's considered the harder of the two.
    3-I'm considering a career in politics, or possible working with the EU
    4-my teachers told me to look into the course (Geography and Business teachers)

I just have a few questions,
    What are employment possibilities like?
    Is it an accredited course or is it just view as 'for those who couldn't get into politics+law' (A friend of mine said this)
    What's Trinity like as a college? Being from Rural Galway it will be a huge change going to Dublin for college and I was just wondering if it's a friendly college because none of my friends intend on going to trinity.

A bit long winded but looking forward to your replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Trinity is a good college and you`ll be fine there, there is people in there from all over the country.
    I`m second year Geography and History student, I like the Geography and will be transferring to single honours for next year.
    Dont know much about job prospects yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've just finished first year in Political Science and Geography in Trinity.

I've really enjoyed it, and if you as you say have an interest in the area then you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

As for your questions;

I don't have any idea what the career prospects are like tbh. I didn't do my CAO based on job prospects. A lot of people do it that way and that's perfectly fine for them, but that just isn't me. I picked courses I really liked the look of. Having said that, you'll come out of the course with a good knowledge in the two fields of Geography and Political Science, so if you want to work in one of them, you'll be very well qualified.

Yes, it's a full, accredited, completely separate course to LawPol, or any other courses. To put it simply, don't listen to your friend.

Trinity is a fantastic college. Living and studying in Dublin will be completely new to you, but it's great. A lot of people are not from Dublin and don't know anyone else when they start, but for the most part they get on fine. The thing with this course is that it's very small; this year there were 15 places, so it's easy to get to know everyone, it's almost impossible not to really. That, along with the fact there's so many clubs and societies there, means you'll easily fit in and get to know people.

If you've any more questions about Political Science and Geography, or Trinity in general, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

2nd year Geography student.

The Geography department in Trinity is ranked in the top 51-100 Geography departments,in the world and only 2 years ago was 40th.
    The Politics department in Trinity is ranked in the top 50 Politics departments in the world.
    The law department is ranked in the top 51-100 law departments in the world.

Show your friend that.
    Job prospects. Ill worry about that in 2 years,but I have to say I thoroughly enjoy the course and to me thats the most important thing. You should only study Geography if you enjoy it ,if not you will find it boring and more than likely drop out in 1st year.

Advertisement