Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

low tax luxobarge/grand tourers

Options
  • 19-04-2015 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I'm looking for an interesting 4 door/large coupe with all the criteria of the luxobarge thread except i refuse to pay the ridiculous €1800 tax the pre 08 cars attract.

Given that diesels will make up a large swathe of the options think we should include remapped cars

I'm sure I cant be alone in thinking this way, it could be an interesting sticky

initial list of potentials :

e92 BMW 330/335i or d

Jaguar XJR

Golf GTI/GTD mk 6/mk7(not a coupe but a really interesting option)

Audi mk2 tts

Audi a4/A5

e92 BMW

Lexus hybrids and diesels

Mercedes e and s class

basically interesting comfortable long distance, fast and lower tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

What about going the vintage route?! Or even just something interesting that's over 20 years old, maybe if you insured it as a classic it could help to offset the tax cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

I have looked at it, I was really tempted by a 190e cosworth(still looking if anyone has a lead on a good black red or silver one preferably not a totally original example as i want to EFI it) but the likely saving on insurance is still not sufficient to justify the increased maintenance and the fact that you're still getting hit with punitive tax.

for example on the 190e tax is 2.5l is a grand insurance is half that and maintenance budget to keep it in good nick is a grand, its still 2.5k on the road before petrol or put another way 200e a month gets maybe 25 mpg

vs e60 2008 525d

5-600 insurance
    tax c. 300 maintenance a grand budget again but it gets 45 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,145 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you say you don't want to pay high tax which is fair enough but one thing that seems to be overlooked by alot of people is that low tax cars cost more to buy and high tax cars cost alot less to buy. There is more to total cost of ownership other than the price of motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

100% agreed re: tax but whatever i buy I intend to hold and run for a period of at least 5 years

while depreciation is of course a factor i wont buy new so the first and most extreme depn hit has already bee taken by someone else and a simple comparison of 1800e tax vs a more likely maximum of 500 for anything post 2008 that i'll go for would allow at least 6K of a difference and obviously the further your "hold" timeline the more compelling this becomes as depreciation should also tail off albeit tat will be offset somewhat by increased maintenance costs.

Advertisement