Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday options (Ireland)

Options
  • 18-04-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all
    Looking for suggestions of hotels with self catering apartments attached? Ideally in west of Ireland with pool and other facilities for almost 3 yr old and 6 mth old.
    We were in the Quality Hotel in Youghal last yr and was perfect but ideally we'd like to see somewhere different. We live in dublin so not here either!
    All suggestions welcome! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Parknasilla maybe. Has pool, nice self catering places, provide cots etc. Lovely area for families, nice woods and parkland.

If you want to try something different... Dromquinna is near parknasilla. They do "glamping" in huge tents for families. Call them for special offers or last minute stuff, the website prices can be a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We stayed at hotel Killerney last week. Great location, hotel average. Big plus is they have a great pool and activities for the kids. Didn't get to see the apartments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Ive actually seen loads of self-catering holidays like that on all the various deal sites if you wanna have a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

the mulranney park hotel in co mayo has self catering apts attached to the hotel. it has a pool etc it is close to achill and westport. i have stayed in the hotel and it is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The Quality Hotel in Clonakility - we have stayed there for the past 2 years (5 & 1 yr old).

I cannot recommend the place enough for kids - pool, play area, playground, face-painting, summer camps, music/disco dancing in the evening...the list goes on.

And meal times are not stressful as there is a kiddies menu and everone else's kids are making the same noise/mess!!

And then nearby you have the heavenly Inchydoney beach - bring a picnic & stay all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Anyone recommend something similar for the east of Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

theLuggage wrote: »
    Anyone recommend something similar for the east of Ireland??

Druids Glenn has houses on the grounds I think. Haven't stayed in them - just the hotel before we had kids. I've heard from others tho they have a games room open from 7 and I remember the pool was nice. Close to bray acquarium, glenroe farm, powers court etc.
    Not self catering but I've heard good things about Amber springs in gorey and Kelly's hotel in rosslare- both good areas for things to do too.

Think there's a real lack of reasonably priced self catering options with amenities on the doorstep in Ireland. Lots of self catering but I really want to be beside a hotel for pool, playground etc without having to disturb baba if she's sleeping, get in car etc...
    We're half thinking of looking for package in Portugal now as it'll cost about the same...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mount Wolseley in Tullow.
    Close to Rathwood with the train, maze, falconry centre, chocolate factory next door.
    Play centres like the Big Blue Barn for younger kids in Carlow town and the Dome for older kids.
    Handy for Castlecomer Discovery park and Kilkenny city, the reptile village in Gowran etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Stayed in castlerosse woodland cottages last year,its attached to castlerosse hotel in Killarney,we had a brilliant time,it was so handy to have our own self catering yet have the full use of hotel facilities would definitely recommend

+1 on mount wolseley. Stayed there and found it great for children.

There's that super-duper expensive all inclusive place in wexford... Kellys. Never been there (out of my budget) but people rave about it. There's a children's tea with a disco afterwards, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just in case anyone gets caught like us, kilcoran lodges in Tipperary do not have access to the leisure centre of the hotel. Discover Ireland says it does so we missed the pay as you go marking on the dream Ireland booking and we just treked down with the baby for a swim to be told we had to pay. Neither of us had a wallet so no swim for us. It was going to be our first family swim together too

It's funny coz I had just been saying to the husband that it was a convenient location for family and with the facilities we should consider staying there again. Not happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Has anyone been to Trabolgan? Would it be good for a 2 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Ended up booking a nice looking place on airbnb - another idea to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

pwurple wrote: »
    Parknasilla maybe. Has pool, nice self catering places, provide cots etc. Lovely area for families, nice woods and parkland.

If you want to try something different... Dromquinna is near parknasilla. They do "glamping" in huge tents for families. Call them for special offers or last minute stuff, the website prices can be a bit high.

We're recently back from a week in Parknasilla and I cannot recommend it enough. We had a brilliant time. We stayed in a 3 double bedroomed Woodland Villa, beautiful house with lovely furnishings etc. There was so much to do, fairy trails, treasure hunts, tennis, pool etc etc. We found the hotel very family friendly and the staff were lovely. It's 2km outside Sneem and about 20 minutes drive from Kenmare so plenty of things to do and see outside the resort too. We had 2 kids, 5 and 2, and we all really enjoyed it. PM if you want any other information.

Yes, we went again this year. I really like it too.

Bring a bucket of insect repellant though, the midges were out in force in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

We're just back from a wk in Druids glen. The houses are rented thru trident holidays rather than the hotel but you can access the pool and playroom. They've a nice playground too. 700 for one wk + electricity and gas separate. House was lovely and spacious tho not overly child friendly with lots of hard surfaces, no stair gates, cupboard locks etc but I guess that's hard to find. No plastic crockery either. Went to the beach, glenroe farm, powerscourt, etc. lovely spot.
    Now for a holiday without the kids for an actual rest !

Advertisement