Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjustable computer screen position [sitting/standing]

Options
  • 18-04-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.varidesk.com
    are one version of this but at 350 sty plus shipping I wonder has anyone got ideas on alternative solutions.

My preference would be to raise the whole desk surface so as the entire work is available rather than just key board/mouse pad and screen.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I haven't got a link but I read recently that Ikea have some sort of desk that you can raise and lower like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Effects wrote: »
    I haven't got a link but I read recently that Ikea have some sort of desk that you can raise and lower like this.

You are on the money here!
    Here it is:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S09061206/
    Its electrically adjustable.
    However at euro 650.00 its outside my budget.
    Thanks again

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ha, didn't realise it was that expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I would go the DIY route, have some ropes and pulleys like an old-fashioned clothes airer for rise and fall, combined with some adjustable supports like a plastering trestle stand, one steel tube inside another with holes at the appropriate places for a pin to go through and support the weight. Maybe a couple of battens on the wall behind, with a lip for something on the underside of the rear of the desk to sit into. Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

How adjustable do you need it to be? And how easily does it need to be changed from one height to another?

If you just need to change between two fixed heights, and don't mind having to fiddle at the legs each time, you could just add a hinged lower section to the bottom of each of four square legs (see attached sketch).

flip_legs.jpg

If you want something really fancy, you could try to find the engineering to do one of these options, from the "The Workbench", by Lon Schleining.

bench-height-adjust.jpg

There are some plans for an adjustable woodworking bench available to buy online here: http://www.jack-bench.com/workbench%20plans%20-%20workbench%20videos.htm
    Even the videos on that page might be enough to give an idea that you could adapt to your own needs, without forking out for the plans. You don't need anything like the strength and rigidity required of a woodworking bench, so you might be able to create an easier version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The price of the Ikea one is an indication of the budget you're looking at for the lower-mid end of the scale here. You really won't get anything much cheaper that can easily raise/lower a loaded desk without going down the DIY route, and having to clear the desk to alter the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Advertisement