Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV App - lack off

Options
  • 18-04-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

<Mods, didn't see an appropriate place for this in Cable and Digital TV, but please let me know if it's not the right spot to ask this>

I bought a Samsung Smart TV for my folks at Christmas and everybody likes it, except it's a pain inputting text using a remote control (no qwerty keyboard). I thought, no problem, I'll just install Samsung's TV remote control app on a tablet or phone at home.

However, as far is I can find out Samsung doesn't currently have an app that allows you to control their TVs. The only thing I have found is something from Samsung that claims to be a remote control app (the claims aren't made here, but in another link from Samsung that takes you to this app), but actually is just an advertising tool to show what different products are available. This app is picking up loads of negative feedback on the Google Play page. I'm really amazed that Samsung don't have an app to support their smart TVs. Seems like commercial suicide not to offer such supporting application.

Maybe I'm wrong; does anybody know of a good app from Samsung to interface with the TV? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

boombang wrote: »
    <Mods, didn't see an appropriate place for this in Cable and Digital TV, but please let me know if it's not the right spot to ask this>

I bought a Samsung Smart TV for my folks at Christmas and everybody likes it, except it's a pain inputting text using a remote control (no qwerty keyboard). I thought, no problem, I'll just install Samsung's TV remote control app on a tablet or phone at home.

However, as far is I can find out Samsung doesn't currently have an app that allows you to control their TVs. The only thing I have found is something from Samsung that claims to be a remote control app (the claims aren't made here, but in another link from Samsung that takes you to this app), but actually is just an advertising tool to show what different products are available. This app is picking up loads of negative feedback on the Google Play page. I'm really amazed that Samsung don't have an app to support their smart TVs. Seems like commercial suicide not to offer such supporting application.

Maybe I'm wrong; does anybody know of a good app from Samsung to interface with the TV? Thanks.

Get them a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 - UK layout, It's plug & play and works great with my Samsung.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks for the suggestion. That would work well, but I think they're only going to be a occasional user and I don't want to impose the additional clutter of a separate item; that's why I thought use of an existing device might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use AllShareCast to control anything that needs text input (eg: not watching broadcast tv). Youtube, open youtube video, cast to tv etc. Pretty sure its standard DLNA too so you can use generic apps too.

My impression was that AllShare was only for Samsung tablets/phones (nobody at home has one). I've tried some generic apps too, but didn't find anything that worked first time around and I didn't have the patience to troubleshoot. However, maybe I should try again.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Samsung smart view is what you want

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Samsung smart view is what you want

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can make out that's a Samsung to Samsung app, not something that's compatible with android devices in general. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Press the voice search button and speak.
    No need for keyboard.

wandererz wrote: »
    Press the voice search button and speak.
    No need for keyboard.

That would be the single, simplest way around the problem, but despite being a recent model the TV doesn't have voice recognition.

Advertisement