Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding microlight rating to PPL(A)

Options
  • 17-04-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I hold a current EASA PPL(A). Anyone know hours required / the procedure for getting a microlight rating?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I looked it up recently, it was 5 hours instruction and a flight test conducted by your school's/club's CFI

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fii

Hi Victoria,

The requirement to hold a microlight rating has just been removed so you can now fly microlights on your SEP without any further licensing requirements. Of course it would be a good idea to take a quick flight with an instructor if you're unfamiliar with a particular aircraft type. There's an article on the FlyingInIreland website at the moment that explains all (this forum won't allow me to post the link, maybe one of the more experienced posters can post the link?)

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Thats right, great news for PPL'ers. You can now fly a microlight without any additional training or licensing!

SEE HERE FOR INFO

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Thats handy! What would e the case if I flew a microlight from private land in uncontrolled airspace would there be anything to stop me? Id love to pick up something like XAir for use on family farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

In regards keeping current if I start flying fixed wing microlights with my PPL(a) do I need to fly a minimum of 12 hours in 2 years to keep current on microlights and then an additional 12 hours on SEPs to keep the SEP current?

Plus do I need to fly an hour with and instructor on both an SEP and a Microlight???

Any advice?

my take on the new changes is - you only need to keep SEP current. Microlight hours won't count toward SEP currency, but having a current SEP allows you to fly microlight no matter on the microlight currency

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fii

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Thats handy! What would e the case if I flew a microlight from private land in uncontrolled airspace would there be anything to stop me? Id love to pick up something like XAir for use on family farm

Hi imurdaddy,

The NMAI can give you great advice about this, take a look at their website or better still join the organisation. But basically once you have the land owners permission and the aircraft is properly insured, permitted, etc. then you can fly away. An XAir is a great aircraft to start with, I've owned and flown one for a few years and they are a very economical first microlight to own. If you haven't flown one before I'd recommend flying with an instructor or an experienced pilot, they have the gliding characteristics of a brick!
    logie101 wrote: »
    In regards keeping current if I start flying fixed wing microlights with my PPL(a) do I need to fly a minimum of 12 hours in 2 years to keep current on microlights and then an additional 12 hours on SEPs to keep the SEP current?

Plus do I need to fly an hour with and instructor on both an SEP and a Microlight???

Any advice?

You will just have to keep your SEP current however microlight hours don't count towards maintaining an EASA licence (at the moment). No need to have an hour with an instructor in both a microlight and SEP.

The IAA are working on a new National LAPL licence which should be a good option for those that want to just fly permit aircraft. Hope to have some news on this in the coming months.

Regards,
    Mark

Advertisement