Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lathe worker required

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi, seeking a mature lathe worker to make me some items. Must be hardwood, so availability to these woods a must.
    Obviously prepared to pay.
    I'm in Enniscorthy so the nearer the better.
    I will not accept poor workmanship so if you're not experienced please do not reply.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So what ISO/EN/OHSRA standard will be used to decide what is poor workmanship?

You can't expect someone to maybe invest up to euro 1,000 or more in time and material in a piece and then have the punter, or the punter's boss, on a whim, reject it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

So what ISO/EN/OHSRA standard will be used to decide what is poor workmanship?

You can't expect someone to maybe invest up to euro 1,000 or more in time and material in a piece and then have the punter, or the punter's boss, on a whim, reject it.

I'll decide if it's poor workmanship. My eyes are my standard, not a piece of paper.

Obviously you are not who I seek, as any professional would say, " yep, I can do it".

Thanks for your unhelpful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What type of items and what types of timber .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

What type of items and what types of timber .

Hi, oak is my first choice as it's probably easier to source. The items are wheel/roller items. Roller items are the ones which need precision as they taper off at different angles.
    The wood used is not a priority, as long as it's a hard wood. So if you had any hard woods then I'm sure that would do.
    Sizes of each roller would be around 4-6" in length, by approx 2-3" in height.
    The wheel would be about 6" in diameter, by approx 2" wide. About 7 rollers, 1 wheel.
    Not a massive job.
    I have the full spec and pics of required pieces

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'll decide if it's poor workmanship. My eyes are my standard, not a piece of paper.

Obviously you are not who I seek, as any professional would say, " yep, I can do it".

Thanks for your unhelpful post.

I like the cut of your jib my good man:D

He who pays the piper calls the tune. Totally agree;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

if you contact your local woodturning chapter they may be able to help, Gorey may be your nearest one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi, oak is my first choice as it's probably easier to source. The items are wheel/roller items. Roller items are the ones which need precision as they taper off at different angles.
    The wood used is not a priority, as long as it's a hard wood. So if you had any hard woods then I'm sure that would do.
    Sizes of each roller would be around 4-6" in length, by approx 2-3" in height.
    The wheel would be about 6" in diameter, by approx 2" wide. About 7 rollers, 1 wheel.
    Not a massive job.
    I have the full spec and pics of required pieces

Maybe you might like to post up your pics here, for further discussion.

Lots of woodturners on here who could best advise you of your project details.
    In all fairness to you, it may not appear to be a massive job, but I,m assuming that opinion is based on a limited knowledge of woodturning.

There may well be additional things to consider from a turning point of view, and only a skilled woodturner would know that. Finished jobs rarely reflect exactly what went into them.
    Perfect wooden ball is a case in point.

Either way you will get expert opinions on it, free of charge:)

And dont forget to say what level of precision is part of the brief, plus or minus what?
    kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Elm is the best wood for wheels because it will never split . ( All wheel hubs on buggies and carts used to be elm ) Failing that beech or maple are more refined woods than oak because they are close grained.

Advertisement