Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter a job offer money wise

Options
  • 16-04-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short - I've been offered a new job - which I applied for.
    Job offer is for 35K - entry level to this job is at least 40 - 45K , however 35K matches my current salary (OT and bonus excluded). In real terms it's a drop in pay of between 4-500 euro per month , a figure I can't absorb.
    I know I've nothing to lose etc etc , but I really am thinking that the gap between me and my prospective new employer is too great. I can't see them coming up by 10K , or giving benefits to match.
    Its been a while since I've had to go looking for a job , whats the feeling out there ? Is it very much take what you're offered and be glad of it ? Bear in mind I'm bringing over 10 years experience in this particular industry (not this role) to the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,783 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Job offer is for 35K - entry level to this job is at least 40 - 45K , however 35K matches my current salary (OT and bonus excluded).

Did they ask what your current salary is - and did you tell them the figure with or without the OT and bonus? Especially if you said the latter, and if entry level in general really is 40-45, then they're taking the p*ss and I'm not sure that I'd want to work for them even if they did up the offer.

Either that, or it's a job where you really do need balls (metaphorically) to do it, and the offered salary is a final test check yours. (And if you think this might be what's happening, then negotiate HARD.)

What other job prospects are there in the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Negotiate the salary. Say you were hoping/looking for in the region of x and could they match it. Or that you are aware this role usually has a salary of x.
    I Always negotiate the salary in a new job.
    You have nothing to lose.

Advertisement