Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Bjork ever come to Ireland again?

Options
  • 16-04-2015 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Been looking into her last few gigs and she rarely comes here. Last time was for Electric Picnic a few years ago.

Why do some artists seem to have no interest in coming to Ireland :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because we're a little island on the edge if a continent, with a population less than that of many major cities? It's logistically awkward, expensive, and a pain in the hole for relatively little reward?

I'd imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

endacl wrote: »
    Because we're a little island on the edge if a continent, with a population less than that of many major cities? It's logistically awkward, expensive, and a pain in the hole for relatively little reward?

I'd imagine...

I can't imagine how someone from Iceland could ever relate to that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Toast wrote: »
    I can't imagine how someone from Iceland could ever relate to that. :D

I'd imagine Iceland have much the same experience of lamenting the lack of visiting international touring acts though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭a postere

Well as David Bowie once famously said years ago when asked why he wasn't doing a gig in Ireland.

"Why would I play in England's back yard when there's more money to be made elsewhere ?"

Bjork's not a massive draw in Ireland, and she could presumably make far more money playing much bigger gigs in much larger cities / countries.

Get a cheap flight to London or Paris etc. next time she's playing there and enjoy a city break while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe Body & Soul festival might pull it off yet and book her, there was a few rumours floating alright.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

a postere wrote: »
    Well as David Bowie once famously said years ago when asked why he wasn't doing a gig in Ireland.

"Why would I play in England's back yard when there's more money to be made elsewhere ?"

Bjork's not a massive draw in Ireland, and she could presumably make far more money playing much bigger gigs in much larger cities / countries.

Get a cheap flight to London or Paris etc. next time she's playing there and enjoy a city break while you're at it.

Having Googled your "Quote", the only link in the entire internet brought me to this thread.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%7BSearchTerms%7D&safe=vss&gws_rd=ssl#safe=vss&q=%22Why+would+I+play+in+England%27s+back+yard+when+there%27s+more+money+to+be+made+elsewhere+%3F%22

Birneybau wrote: »
    Having Googled your "Quote", the only link in the entire internet brought me to this thread.

So what ? I hope it doesn't shock you that people lived and existed before the internet, and I doubt it cares about a throwaway remark from David Bowie that was only of limited interest in Ireland. Bowie made the remark in the 70's. It was news in Ireland at the time, and the quote used to be dragged up and rehashed in the Irish papers entertainment sections until the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

endacl wrote: »

That made me smile, you just described Iceland :p
    Maybe Body & Soul festival might pull it off yet and book her, there was a few rumours floating alright.

That would be amazing
    reland, and she could presumably make far more money playing much bigger gigs in much larger cities / countries.

Bjork is not motivated by money. She's also not a Bob Dylan-esque character who is into never-ending touring to every corner of the world. She has other things to be getting on with.

You are right about city break thing though. Wouldn't cost that much more than a gig in Ireland and you'd get a wee adventure out of it too. She's playing in Manchester which would be handy enough. I was going to do this (France I was thinking) but now I've booked a trip to Iceland for the Airwaves festival in Reykjavik in November! She's doing two gigs there. I've wanted to go for ages so when Bjork was announced I thought, f*ck it, let's go.

There is still one headliner to be announced for the Picnic and she still has more European summer dates to be announced I'd say so I'd still be optimistic.

Bootsy. wrote: »
    That made me smile, you just described Iceland :p

That would be amazing

Bjork is not motivated by money. She's also not a Bob Dylan-esque character who is into never-ending touring to every corner of the world. She has other things to be getting on with.

You are right about city break thing though. Wouldn't cost that much more than a gig in Ireland and you'd get a wee adventure out of it too. She's playing in Manchester which would be handy enough. I was going to do this (France I was thinking) but now I've booked a trip to Iceland for the Airwaves festival in Reykjavik in November! She's doing two gigs there. I've wanted to go for ages so when Bjork was announced I thought, f*ck it, let's go.

.[/There is still one headliner to be announced for the Picnic and she still has more European summer dates to be announced I'd say so I'd still be optimisticQUOTE]

Yeah too soon since she last played in 2013, more like 2019 or 2020 when she'll play EP again seeing that the time before that was EP 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

hopefully not

She's mad enough, so its possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah ye are slow here today..........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

unless its a standalone gig, playing in ireland as part of a tour is highly expensive, main land europe tours transport via bus, uk has multiple dates covering the costs, venues charge huge money here compared to uk and tbh a big issue in ireland is the gap in venue size between the point and the olympia.

shes been here a few times and while great at ep recently, she was somewhat regarded as a bit of a novelty act.

this is from a bjork fan, even having her 1977 self titled on disc

Bootsy wrote: »
    Bjork is not motivated by money.

Her gigs must be cheaper than everyone else's then?
    Boosty wrote: »
    She's also not a Bob Dylan-esque character who is into never-ending touring to every corner of the world. She has other things to be getting on with.

Don't we all, and you're right . . . she's no Bob Dylan, that's for sure . . .

Her gigs must be cheaper than everyone else's then?

Don't we all, and you're right . . . she's no Bob Dylan, that's for sure . . .

Hey where are you getting these quotes they ain't mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am surprised we do get so many acts playing here, and count myself lucky. I guess some come because we are english speaking and may have some irish connection in the band, or a drinking/party place to go, like how many young US tourists will visit amsterdam.
    Hey where are you getting these quotes they ain't mine.
    You allegedly said it in the 70's...

Advertisement