Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apprenticeship in UK/abroad for a 18year old

Options
  • 15-04-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Would finding a apprenticeship abroad like in the UK be hard for an 18year old who is going to be all alone? I tried making accounts on them websites which you apply through but they ask for a postcode and it keeps messing up so i just gave up.

Yeah that's a dumb question but would like to hear tips/tricks for an easier way of going abroad for an apprenticeship for like vehicle maintenance and repair or body repair.

But for Ireland if i stay here, should i just stick to my county or am i able to go to other counties for it but i will be alone but i want to go to a different place.

I know feck all about motors and stuff but am a petrolhead so would love to learn , i get really bad grades and looks like university options for me are gone out the window since i hate studying useless crap. Please somone help me out . I will be talking to mechanics in shops and the education centre thing ( The place where u search or apply for a apprenticeship ) at the weekend. I will get like 200points in the lc i absolutely hate it and would rather suicide than repeating. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unless someone is paying to house you your going to struggle doing it while living anywhere other than your parents house without a decent 2nd job.

Not sure about the UK but apprentice rates here are around €190 for a first year, so around the dole rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Jdmsupra wrote: »
    Would finding a apprenticeship abroad like in the UK be hard for an 18year old who is going to be all alone? I tried making accounts on them websites which you apply through but they ask for a postcode and it keeps messing up so i just gave up.

Yeah that's a dumb question but would like to hear tips/tricks for an easier way of going abroad for an apprenticeship for like vehicle maintenance and repair or body repair.

But for Ireland if i stay here, should i just stick to my county or am i able to go to other counties for it but i will be alone but i want to go to a different place.

I know feck all about motors and stuff but am a petrolhead so would love to learn , i get really bad grades and looks like university options for me are gone out the window since i hate studying useless crap. Please somone help me out . I will be talking to mechanics in shops and the education centre thing ( The place where u search or apply for a apprenticeship ) at the weekend. I will get like 200points in the lc i absolutely hate it and would rather suicide than repeating. Thanks for reading :)

You'd need to change your attitude to studying first. Nobody will give you a apprenticeship after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Play nice kona.

To be honest OP, you should look at getting into FAS, getting a non-piad job at a local garage/indy. To get even a basic level of understanding of cars. Or buy a dump car and restore it in your free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

biko wrote: »
    Play nice kona.

To be honest OP, you should look at getting into FAS, getting a non-piad job at a local garage/indy. To get even a basic level of understanding of cars. Or buy a dump car and restore it in your free time.

I dont mean to be mean but, statements like" I hate learning useless stuff" ain't going to get you a job. Every single course has "useless" info you just have to learn it for the exams. Most the subjects we learn for the leaving are useless but you need to know them to progress.

You'd also want to know the basic mechanics of a engine if you want a mechanic based apprenticeship, it's not hard to find out. Plenty of books on it. "Petrol heads" can tell you the cycle.

Apprenticeships don't just fall on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't know much about going about getting an apprenticeship, but what I can tell you is that with modern automotive systems being as they are you're going to be hitting the books whether you like it or not, if you're to avoid being like a bull looking out over a five-barred gate when confronted with a Mercedes or something with an array of systems lights on. I recommend the Hillier's Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology series. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jdmsupra

Thanks everyone who replied

kona wrote: »
    I dont mean to be mean but, statements like" I hate learning useless stuff" ain't going to get you a job. Every single course has "useless" info you just have to learn it for the exams. Most the subjects we learn for the leaving are useless but you need to know them to progress.

You'd also want to know the basic mechanics of a engine if you want a mechanic based apprenticeship, it's not hard to find out. Plenty of books on it. "Petrol heads" can tell you the cycle.

Apprenticeships don't just fall on your lap.

Ok boss calm the feck down

Unless someone is paying to house you your going to struggle doing it while living anywhere other than your parents house without a decent 2nd job.

Not sure about the UK but apprentice rates here are around €190 for a first year, so around the dole rate.

Thanks

biko wrote: »
    Play nice kona.

Thanks

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't know much about going about getting an apprenticeship, but what I can tell you is that with modern automotive systems being as they are you're going to be hitting the books whether you like it or not, if you're to avoid being like a bull looking out over a five-barred gate when confronted with a Mercedes or something with an array of systems lights on. I recommend the Hillier's Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology series. :D

Sound , will look into that book

• Advertisement
Advertisement