Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM loans for 2015

Options
  • 15-04-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

There is some great info here so I thought this would be the ideal platform to get a answer. I sat the GAMSAT in the UK in 2014 and got a 59. this, i assume should be sufficient for me to study in Dublin. I gave close to 35K saved up for GEM which I am planning to use to pay my first two years. My issue is after the first two years I will be broke. will the banks give me a loan for the final 2 years or is the deal only a 4 year deal? If so, would I be best taking ~7k a year of a loan? However by doing this I feel that I am paying more interest than I will need to. I have been browsing most threads and apart for UL I cant find any information on loans available to 3rd or 4th year students. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Yes, you can take it just for 3rd and 4th year with Bank of Ireland. They restructured the system last year so that it's now 4 separare €15k loans rather than one for 60k. So you can apply for whichever years you need. Obviously there's no guarantee of getting the loan for any year.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Do you have to take the full €15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Do you have to take the full €15k?

I don't think so. Makes sense for OP to take two later 15ks than 4 7ks tho because you are liable 7% interest from whenever you get the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

I was absolutely shocked to discover that even if you get a loan off BOI for RCSI you still have to pay another 2000 of your own money on top of that...how is it possible to have any money for living then?

Advertisement