Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1960 Presidential Election

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I was listening to George Hook today and he was on about the corruption around Mayor Daly and how deliverd Chicago / Illionis for Kennedy and this won him the election.
    I always thought this was an Urban Myth, not that there was corruption but that he wouldn't have won without Illionis.
    I checked the result and Kennedy got 303 and Nixon got 219 so even if Nixon won Illonis he would only have got 246, Kennedy would have got 276.

I've heard this a few times on George Hook, am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

George Hook didn't know what he was talking about. The math is very simple so if Illinois had a total of 27 electoral votes that time, so there's no way Nixon winning Illinois would have granted victory over Kennedy. The point is that the math is just not there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's a popular myth, often repeated but still wrong.

The narrative is also that Kennedy lost the popular vote but carried the electoral college, but he actually won both by fairly clear margins. There are some caveats to the popular vote result, it makes my brain hurt to explain them so have a look at this:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/10/19/did_jfk_lose_the_popular_vote_115833.html

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

What if the vote would have been contested by Nixon and an investigation into the reported election shenanigans of Illinois (Daley’s Chicago machine in particular) and Texas? What if it came out that those two states actually went to Nixon? Nixon would have won, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What if Nixon hadn't sabotaged peace talks with the North Vietnamese to boost his chances in the subsequent election? Ifs and buts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

What if Nixon hadn't sabotaged peace talks with the North Vietnamese to boost his chances in the subsequent election? Ifs and buts etc

??? Nixon was elected to 2 terms. And if you're referring to Ford, he didn't get elected primarily because of Nixon's pardon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Amerika wrote: »
    ??? Nixon was elected to 2 terms. And if you're referring to Ford, he didn't get elected primarily because of Nixon's pardon.

This occurred prior to the 1968 election.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/yes-nixon-scuttled-the-vietnam-peace-talks-107623.html#.VYxkwUU1iM8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Was it not Sam 'the Cigar' Giancana who delivered Chicago and the Illinois EC votes for Kennedy?

Advertisement