Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after graduating does your DIT email expire?

Options
  • 14-04-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how long after graduation we have to change mailing lists, subscriptions etc to alternative email addresses before the mydit.ie address stops working :D Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i think a few months , however lecturers never do apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I graduated last year. My DIT gmail account is still working fine, although I don't receive any college emails naturally.

colmulhall wrote: »
    I graduated last year. My DIT gmail account is still working fine, although I don't receive any college emails naturally.
    btw google drive is unlimited with a student account

bpb101 wrote: »
    btw google drive is unlimited with a student account

Really? Any timeframe on the storage?

Really? Any timeframe on the storage?
    what do you mean timeframe?

also , hard to know becuase they only moved to dit stuff to google last year

• Advertisement

bpb101 wrote: »
    what do you mean timeframe?

Just wondering does it expire like Dropbox's free storage..

Just wondering does it expire like Dropbox's free storage..
    as long as you have a google docs for education account(which is a dit account)

Cheers. Might give it a go :)

Cheers. Might give it a go :)
    only problem is if they do close it then your stuff is gone.
    saying that , they dont reuse emails.
    i have a 3 at the end of mine and there no number 1 and 2 in the system
    plus a student number will never be given out twice
    also , with the new google system , they have no cost in holding the data(as its free for colleges and schools) so god only know how long they will keep them on for

Might be worth the risk so. My Dropbox storage expired recently which left me with a frozen account. Using iCloud at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If you're worried about losing all your student emails, just back them up to another email account (gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc).

Aard wrote: »
    If you're worried about losing all your student emails, just back them up to another email account (gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc).

not his emails , nobody cares about the dit su spam

With a student account , you get unlimited Storage from google.
    But colmulhall says he has since left dit , but his account is still there.

con:
    When they eventuality delete his account , he will lose all his stuff.

pro: free unlimited storage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Didn't realise it was about the storage that google offer. All the same, worthwhile making a backup of important files.

MillField wrote: »
    Has your account expired yet? Dit told me they will expire them but I don't know any graduates

I just tried it there now. My account still exists, but they have disabled my password and won't allow me to change it. Seems like the account is more or less wiped.

MillField wrote: »
    I just tried it there now. My account still exists, but they have disabled my password and won't allow me to change it. Seems like the account is more or less wiped.

Can you email it and see does it bounce.

I was thinking could set up a fwd on the account. If the email was still there I could still received onto the account. (Haven't graduated yet)

Reply:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 accessallareas

For some courses, depending on how they're registered, Student Accounts can last up to a year after graduation but the usual lifespan is only around 3 months after Graduation. If you haven't re-registered for an up-coming semester/course then it's likely to be disabled over the summer.
    If you've saved stuff on Google, (Mail, Drive, Calendar, Keep etc.) it isn't deleted as quickly (or at all) as far as I know. If your DIT account is re-activated by the IT people the data is still there for a bit longer.
    Easy enough to backup or download using Google Drive app or GSSMO.

For some courses, depending on how they're registered, Student Accounts can last up to a year after graduation but the usual lifespan is only around 3 months after Graduation. If you haven't re-registered for an up-coming semester/course then it's likely to be disabled over the summer.
    If you've saved stuff on Google, (Mail, Drive, Calendar, Keep etc.) it isn't deleted as quickly (or at all) as far as I know. If your DIT account is re-activated by the IT people the data is still there for a bit longer.
    Easy enough to backup or download using Google Drive app or GSSMO.

My reason for Trying to keep it is I have free access to software which is worth easily about 500 a year (several products)

I really don't want to pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 accessallareas

Yeah, all the free stuff is great. I think the free Wifi around the world (Eduroam.Org) is one the best reason to keep a student account going.

I'm not sure how long the free software access lasts. Microsoft's student offer on Office used to carry on for ages after the student account expired. All the Dreamspark downloads they offer seem to keep working.
    There's often a decent extension on Autodesk's products too. Unfortunately there's been a few problems with ex-students abusing the student access on certain services so a number of these suppliers are pressuring colleges to tighten up their processes.
    What sort of apps are your after?

• Advertisement

Yeah, all the free stuff is great. I think the free Wifi around the world (Eduroam.Org) is one the best reason to keep a student account going.

I'm not sure how long the free software access lasts. Microsoft's student offer on Office used to carry on for ages after the student account expired. All the Dreamspark downloads they offer seem to keep working.
    There's often a decent extension on Autodesk's products too. Unfortunately there's been a few problems with ex-students abusing the student access on certain services so a number of these suppliers are pressuring colleges to tighten up their processes.
    What sort of apps are your after?

CS students in dit have access to a thing called dreamspark premium which gives free copy of basically every ms product including the OS's

main reason is for jetbrains software which is a $250 a year. github which is ?90 a year. Virtual machines which cost about ?150 a year. Office id dont really care but 70 euro a year

Jetbrains and github are my 2 major losses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I graduated in October (part time masters). Got a mail during the week saying my email would cease on June 1st

ILikeBoats wrote:
    I graduated in October (part time masters). Got a mail during the week saying my email would cease on June 1st

Its really annoying considering it doesn't cost them anything. Emailed the "great student union" and the reply I got was I don't think it does... Even though I said I was onto ICT support...

Advertisement