Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilising bottles without electricity

Options
  • 14-04-2015 4:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We received a notice from ESB networks that they will be interrupting our supply due to maintenance on the grid.
    They say it will be from 9am to 5pm (I know it will most likely only be a few hours as they'd say 9-5 just to cover themselves)

As such, I won't be able to use the electric steriliser or microwave steriliser while the power is off.

Could I (using the gas hob) steam the bottles/pump in a conventional ceramic/glass food steamer that I have? (Ive only used the steamer once before, so it's pretty much gleaming)

If so, for long would I need to steam? 5 minutes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi,

We received a notice from ESB networks that they will be interrupting our supply due to maintenance on the grid.
    They say it will be from 9am to 5pm (I know it will most likely only be a few hours as they'd say 9-5 just to cover themselves)

As such, I won't be able to use the electric steriliser or microwave steriliser while the power is off.

Could I (using the gas hob) steam the bottles/pump in a conventional ceramic/glass food steamer that I have? (Ive only used the steamer once before, so it's pretty much gleaming)

If so, for long would I need to steam? 5 minutes?
    Use milton?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Boil them in a saucepan or use miltons or make sure to do them before 9am in the electric one :)

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/sterilising-bottles.aspx

Sterilising by boiling
    •When using this method, care must be taken to ensure safety and prevent scalds or burns. Hot pans and liquids should not be left unattended, especially if children are present.
    •Make sure that whatever you sterilise in this way is safe to boil.
    •Boil the feeding equipment in water for at least 10 minutes, making sure that all items stay under the water's surface.
    •Remember that teats tend to get damaged faster with this method. Regularly check that teats and bottles are not torn, cracked or damaged.
    •Wash your hands thoroughly. Clean and disinfect the surface where you will put together the bottle and teat.
    •It's best to remove the bottles just before they are used.
    •If the bottles are not being used immediately, they should be put together fully with the teat and lid in place. This is to prevent the inside of the sterilised bottle from being contaminated, along with the inside and outside of the teat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You can get disposable sterilisation bags in mothercare (great for travelling) and basically there is a tablet in a big bag - fill it with water and put the bottles and soothers in. a bag lasts 24 hours.

Innosense they are called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your outtage is 8 hours. Maybe sterilise before 9am.

Bottles remain sterile for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I second the sterilising bags. I use them when we are travelling and are great not need for any other items microwave etc. Boots do them too

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,809 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Sterilise them that morning or get a few Milton tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I would also just sterilise them in the morning and have them all ready for the day. I also used sterilising tablets before when I was on holidays and they worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My local hosp use Milton & cold water for sterilising if you'd like a back up. But I'd sterilise first thing

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you are formula feeding then those little bottles you can get in supermarkets with the attached teat are presterilised.

Not much good if you are using defrosted breast milk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

you could sterilize them anytime from 5.00pm the evening before up to 9.00am that morning, surely this would sort your problem, or am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pre-sterilise and put in the fridge...no?

We'd have 8 bottles on the go at a time, in the fridge. Might do them in the evening, then they keep us going til the next evening or thereabouts. I know the fridge will be off too, but the bottles should be ok.

I wonder are you in the same area as us, we got that notice yesterday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you use Milton I'd advise rinsing the bottles with sterile water after they've been in the Milton to avoid the risk of getting thrush. Been there and it's horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

deisemum wrote: »
    If you use Milton I'd advise rinsing the bottles with sterile water after they've been in the Milton to avoid the risk of getting thrush. Been there and it's horrible.

I don't follow the Milton - thrush link... I thought thrush was fungal. What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't follow the Milton - thrush link... I thought thrush was fungal. What happened?

I think Milton kills bacteria and so by killing good bacteria in the mouth causes the natural oral flora to be disturbed, possibly leading to thrush.

Advertisement