Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paid maternity leave

Options
  • 14-04-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

Just wanted to get some advice, I work for a multinational who pay 100% salary for maternity leave with 2 years service. My problem is I have just found out that I am pregnant and would be due to take maternity leave in december. I would be working in the company 23 months by that stage. I have also got about 1 month of annual leave I haven't taken yet. Are there any rules about when maternity leave has to start? We are applying for a mortgage at the moment so having only 50% of my salary would be a disaster. I don' t want to approach Hr yet until I know what the rules are. If I could take the annual leave in December instead of maternity it would bring me up to 24 months.
    Anyone else been in this posiition?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

swirley wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just wanted to get some advice, I work for a multinational who pay 100% salary for maternity leave with 2 years service. My problem is I have just found out that I am pregnant and would be due to take maternity leave in december. I would be working in the company 23 months by that stage. I have also got about 1 month of annual leave I haven't taken yet. Are there any rules about when maternity leave has to start? We are applying for a mortgage at the moment so having only 50% of my salary would be a disaster. I don' t want to approach Hr yet until I know what the rules are. If I could take the annual leave in December instead of maternity it would bring me up to 24 months.
    Anyone else been in this posiition?

Thanks

You must begin your maternity leave at least two weeks before your due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

davo10 wrote: »
    You must begin your maternity leave at least two weeks before your due date.

Yeah, that's the key rule there. When's your due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You'd hope that a multinational won't look to play hardball on this. If they did, then you'd think that they wouldn't be offering 100% paid maternity leave in the first place.

A sensible compromise might be that they start paying your maternity leave after the 24 months as per their policy, but only the first month would be unpaid. Does the policy say anything that would rule that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Some places will play hardball on this alright, i see more and more multinationals especially pharma ones implementing rules to try and limit paid maternity leave as they are finding some of the women in the workforce come back to work from maternity leave only to fall pregnant again almost immediately, and this can happen multiple times, meaning they are spending years at home on full pay, whilst the other workers in the department pick up the slack, as they dont want to hire temporary cover.

The rules i have seen a few bring in lately include that from the date you come back from your maternity leave, you will not receive maternity pay if you need leave again within 2 years and they are strict on this down to the day.

In your case OP, one way or another you have to approach HR and your manager and work towards an amicable solution if possible.

Advertisement