Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student teacher practise

Options
  • 14-04-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm trying to get different teachers opinions of what they think is best.
    I've to do 3 blocks of teaching practise in primary schools.
    Two 7 week blocks and one final 10 week block(which is the most important).
    It has to be three different schools.
    My first one cannot be juniors or seniors.
    But over the three blocks I've to teach a class from:
    1. Juniors or seniors
    2. First,second,third or fourth.
    3. Fifth or sixth.
    In your experience,which class would you take for the most important block and which would you begin with? (cannot be juniors/seniors to begin). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

What times of the year do you have to do your placements? Certainly wouldn't recommend Infants in September or Sixth in June!!
    You could get a lot of different viewpoints because everybody has their own preference. Personally, I would try to finish with Fifth because the curriculum is so deep with them that you could cover all sorts of interesting topics. What experience do you have so far though? I also LOVE infants and the working day with infants is never dull for a moment... but if you have noticed that you gravitate more towards one end or the other, that's how you should decide, because every teacher is different.
    Bear in mind as well that a lot of it is down to the available teachers in the school, so even if you'd love to end up with Third, the Third Class teacher might have had a student already this year.
    I also wouldn't fall into the trap of thinking that any one class guarantees you a better grade. Working with children can be exhausting and a lot of what you will experience on TP is down to how well you are treated by your inspectors, if the class teacher is supportive, if there is a lot of coming and going of children for resource, learning support, EAL... if there is an SNA in the room.... how warmly you are welcomed to the staffroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

hi im a teacher and in my experience 3rd and 4th would be the best for your long stint as they work well with teachers as they are still quite young but kinda grown up at the same time taking infants in September especially junior infants would be a pain for you as they are settling in and it can take them up till october to settle in properly but Senior Infants would be ok to take in September if you had no other choice as they can do work but Id only take Senior infants in September if you had no other choice. 3rd 4th in my experience best classes to teach :) best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tubs12

Dear god.
    I have 6th class for my first Tp and they will be just after confirmation ,winding down towards the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

tubs12 wrote: »
    Dear god.
    I have 6th class for my first Tp and they will be just after confirmation ,winding down towards the end of the year

Loads of projects, integrate music, art and PE into everything else as much as you possibly can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 tubs12

Thanks a million for your advice Redser87

Advertisement