Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Cup and Craft Beer in Dublin

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭

Where would be the best place in Dublin to go and see the FA cup on Sunday that also has a good selection of craft beer?

Thanks,
    jh79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The padlocks has possibly the largest but varable range of Irish craft beer.

The pub in Ognar has Fran well rebel red and Blue moon tap
    12THLock usually has a few of O'hara's+bottles
    Roselawan has a few O'hara's taps.
    The carpenter has Fran well rebel red + Chieftain IPA tap
    Castleknock hotel has or had 8 degrees howling gale on tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Alfie Byrnes probably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

oblivious wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestions.

The culchie in me forgot to specify Dublin City Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

most pubs be showing UTD vs Chelsea instead I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Mercantile pub on Dame Street would be showing the FA cup, not too sure on their craft beer selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the bull & castle on Dame St?

jh79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The culchie in me forgot to specify Dublin City Center.

An I also thought is was posted in Dublin west thread, stupid me :P

domrush wrote: »
    most pubs be showing UTD vs Chelsea instead I'd imagine

That is on Saturday and clashes with the Arsenal v Reading game.

Liverpool v Villa is the match I'm looking for.

Where would be the best place in Dublin to go and see the FA cup on Sunday that also has a good selection of craft beer?

Thanks,
    jh79

Against the grain show a number of games, usual with a Burger and pint ( there own) for 10 euros

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Bull and Castle has a big screen. Can get quite busy if you're not there earlyish though.

• Advertisement

Against the grain show a number of games, usual with a Burger and pint ( there own) for 10 euros
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Bull and Castle has a big screen. Can get quite busy if you're not there earlyish though.

My first instinct was a GBB pub as I drink in them in Galway but they have become less sport orientated in the Salthouse recently so I though I'd check here to be safe.

Never been to the Bull and Castle how does it compare to the GBB pubs?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Porterhouse Central would have it on I imagine

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

My first instinct was a GBB pub as I drink in them in Galway but they have become less sport orientated in the Salthouse recently so I though I'd check here to be safe.

Bull and Castle probably has less beer but has a different variety, less focus on imports than GBB pubs and more Irish beer. It's definitely worth a visit but so are the GBB pubs in Dublin.

Alfie's is a GBB pub.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Bull and Castle probably has less beer but has a different variety, less focus on imports than GBB pubs and more Irish beer. It's definitely worth a visit but so are the GBB pubs in Dublin.

Looks good on the website, would they stock the newer 8 degree brews or just the core ?

Looks good on the website, would they stock the newer 8 degree brews or just the core ?

They normally get the specials in on rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Back Page in Phibsboro would be your best bet. Usually their own rotating beer, some Irish, some UK and an American or two on tap, plenty of bottles too.

Lots of screens and amazing pizza too. Probably the best sports bar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Mulligans - Manor Street/Stoneybatter
    The Black Sheep - Capel Street

Not sure what they are like for live sports but plenty of craft beers available.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't think The Black Sheep shows sports

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Since when has Roselawn had O'Hara's taps? A while since I was there. But first time, the most exotic beer they had was Smithwicks Pale Ale. The rest was Guinness, Beamish, Smithwicks, Bulmers and the usual 6 or 7 generic lagers. The last time I was there they had no SPA. I asked the barman would they be getting it in again, and he basically said he doubted it. As if to say why would anyone drink that weird stuff?

• Advertisement

Anyone ever ask for a sample in the non craft pubs or whatever you want to call them. No problem doing it in a GBB pub but was in the Living Room watching footy recently enough and was about to ask for a sample of the new Guinness Larger but then remembered were I was and shied away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

whodafunk wrote: »
    Mulligans - Manor Street/Stoneybatter
    The Black Sheep - Capel Street

Not sure what they are like for live sports but plenty of craft beers available.

No sport in the Black Sheep.

OP round the corner from Black Sheep is another Craft Beer place call Beer House which have started advertising that they show live sport.

Was the showing of the 6 nations in the Three Tun Tavern an exception to Wetherspoons normal no sport policy or do they show all sports?

Was the showing of the 6 nations in the Three Tun Tavern an exception to Wetherspoons normal no sport policy or do they show all sports?

They show terrestrial sports the odd time. 6 Nations, World Cup etc. These are always well advertised. The odd FA Cup match would be on too but it's more dependent on individual bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

basically they don't pay for SS

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I enjoyed a World Cup game in Sweetmans last year, just drinking their porter.

An File wrote: »
    I enjoyed a World Cup game in Sweetmans last year, just drinking their porter.

Second Sweetmans, usually a good place to watch a match, for me it's their pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭hynesie08

jimmii wrote: »
    No sport in the Black Sheep.

OP round the corner from Black Sheep is another Craft Beer place call Beer House which have started advertising that they show live sport.

I'm open to correction but i believe they're only showing any sport thats on Rte. They showed 6 nations and last nights cl game but i don't think they've sky sports.

I had settled on the Bull and Castle as I can go to a GBB pub in Galway anytime but i just found out there is a rugby game on Sunday which could complicate things a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I asked what craft beers they had in there one Saturday night, was offered a bottle of Tiger.

Advertisement