Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self builds

Options
  • 13-04-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello all

Can anyone tell me if your doing a self build on a 3 bed bungalow , is it still possible to do a self build now with these new regs in place , ino you need a certifier to sign off on certain stages of the build , can architects do this as well as engineers , because it's better to have the architect to do the lot instead of paying 2 different people, and what do they charge for doing this does anyone know

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dig all wrote: »
    Hello all

1. Can anyone tell me if your doing a self build on a 3 bed bungalow , is it still possible to do a self build now with these new regs in place ,
    2. you need a certifier to sign off on certain stages of the build , can architects do this as well as engineers ,
    3. because it's better to have the architect to do the lot instead of paying 2 different people,
    4. and what do they charge for doing this does anyone know

1. You need to find a chartered architect, engineer or surveyor willing to work with you as the 'main cintractor'
    2. As above
    3. If you only want to pay an architect they will subcontract other elements where required.
    4. Get 3 quotes and compare service

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Des1988

Hi,

I have applied for planning permission back in feb 15 and got a request for Further Information, got that done out and response sent with the help of my architect now waiting on reply.

Hoping to be able to start my build process as soon as planning is granted but I am now totally clueless as to what I need to be doing - From a practical point of view I know exactly how to build a house and have a degree in a construction related discipline so everything practical is fairly clear to me.

I had planned on doing self build but dont know if this is possible with new regs. I have relatives who own their own plant digger etc. so was hoping to do site clearance and pour founds myself.

I know I have to appoint an assigned certifier but what a are the minimum requirements for a certifier??

I know all the finishes I would like, heating system etc. but where to go from here I'm clueless!! :(

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Start with a Design Certifier...a registered architect, engineer or building surveyor. The design has to be certified by one of them first.

Then seek an Assigned Certifier...again...a registered architect, engineer or building surveyor.

Is your architect not advising you?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

If suitably qualified your AC can also undertake to sign the DC at commencement. An example of this situation might be where the guy who has prepared the drawings for the planning application is not suitably qualified to do the DC or is unwilling to or is unable to-if say he is no longer available through emigration or its a closed down practice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If suitably qualified your AC can also undertake to sign the DC at commencement.

Have you read the wording of the Design Certificate?

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Start with a Design Certifier...a registered architect, engineer or building surveyor. The design has to be certified by one of them first.

Then seek an Assigned Certifier...again...a registered architect, engineer or building surveyor.

Is your architect not advising you?

I opted for a cheap option when going with an architect - I drew up my own plans and had location of where i wanted the house already marked out on site so I just found someone who was up to speed with current planning regs to finalize the drawings for me and help me in submitting my application.

Are you also saying that the design certifier and the assigned certifier cannot be the same person??

If I get the design certified and then appoint the assigned certifier (willing to sign off on all work) can I still enter the self build process?

Des1988 wrote: »
    Are you also saying that the design certifier and the assigned certifier cannot be the same person??

Yes, they can be the same person, as long as they are a registered architect, engineer or building surveyor.
    If I get the design certified and then appoint the assigned certifier (willing to sign off on all work) can I still enter the self build process?

At the moment yes, as long as the assigned certifier is happy to work with you on your self build.

Thanks for your help DOCARCH, You have really helped point me in the right direction at least!!

How soon can I get my design certified??

When or how is this done??

Thanks for your help DOCARCH, You have really helped point me in the right direction at least!!

How soon can I get my design certified??

When or how is this done??

Your pretty much going to need a set of construction drawings and specifications to demonstrate how the design complies with the Building Regulations.

The days of building off planning drawings are gone!

You mention you have an architect...what do they have to say?

What did my architect have to say about which now??

I will now have to get him to do construction drawings for me...

• Advertisement

The whole Design/Assigned Certifier process and SI9 in general?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I will now have to get him to do construction drawings for me...

Somebody has to prepare a detailed set of construction drawings and submit them to the building control authority through the BCMS system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Moves afoot,

http://www.newstalk.com/Almost-half-of-new-homes-may-be-exempt-from-new-building-regulations
    The government may change the regulations from "mandatory" to "advisory."

leak if first, check reaction, then act.....possibly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

martinn123 wrote: »
    Moves afoot,

http://www.newstalk.com/Almost-half-of-new-homes-may-be-exempt-from-new-building-regulations

leak if first, check reaction, then act.....possibly.

Nothing new there

Just a journalists interpretation of the DOE documents that we are to base building regs amendment submission on

Advertisement