Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career breaks - can anyone apply?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 6:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Asking for a friend who is wondering whether Deputy Principals and Principals are excluded from the option of a career break. I can't say I ever heard of a DP on career break, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's nothing in the rules that says they can't. I know a DP currently on career break and a principal who took one some years ago.

Circular 10/2011 is the relevant circular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I know of one that did too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would it be the same ETB and voluntary sector? Again, I'm presuming it would. I think the circulars only mention the word 'teacher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

P and DP are teachers. We just have a post which has a nice name but fundamentally we are teachers who are union members, TC registered and on payscale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

spurious wrote: »
    Would it be the same ETB and voluntary sector? Again, I'm presuming it would. I think the circulars only mention the word 'teacher'.

At the end of the day management has to approve it. It's the same across all sectors but with different management bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

What about someone just after being granted their CID?
    I know someone that is now going to be due a CID next year (in their third year in a school) but is considering changing careers.
    Would a career break be likely to be refused if she applies for a career break as soon as she is granted a CID?
    It's not as if she has been teaching for years either...she got her job straight out of college, if that's relevant.
    She reckons it might be a bit disloyal for her to take off as soon as she gets her CID, after the principal giving her a job straight out of college and being decent to her...I don't know hoe much hassle people going on career breaks cause principals so I haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

What about someone just after being granted their CID?
    I know someone that is now going to be due a CID next year (in their third year in a school) but is considering changing careers.
    Would a career break be likely to be refused if she applies for a career break as soon as she is granted a CID?
    It's not as if she has been teaching for years either...she got her job straight out of college, if that's relevant.
    She reckons it might be a bit disloyal for her to take off as soon as she gets her CID, after the principal giving her a job straight out of college and being decent to her...I don't know hoe much hassle people going on career breaks cause principals so I haven't a clue.

It would depend on the individual situation in the school. Teachers aren't automatically replaced on career breaks any more, it depends on numbers. If the principal can replace, they are more likely to allow the career break. In my school you have to apply before the bom meeting in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Sorry for hijacking....
    but should you get some sort of written confirmation to confirm the career break has been granted?
    I applied and heard nothing yet. apart that the BOM had no problem subject to replacement found....

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Your principal should give you a letter stating that you have been granted the career break. I wouldn't make any definite plans unless I had that written confirmation in my hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement