Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity bill / usage - can I compare with others?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭

been keeping Tabs for the last week on our electricity meter readings and have deduced that we are using on average 6euro of Electricity per day. This is with SSE Airtricity at 0.18c per unit and we cook all with electricity (ie electric cooker and hob), have a 8.5kw shower, and tumble drier - Just wondering how that compares with other peoples electric usage does 6euro a day sound good/cheap? - expensive? - or just about right? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Do you heat with electricity too?And what heats your ordinary hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

vandriver wrote: »
    Do you heat with electricity too?And what heats your ordinary hot water?

ah yes I didnt provide that I see. - No, oil boiler central heating that heats up secondary coil in immersion cylinder, so no electricity to heat hot water. Have a 1kw convector electric rad heater on all night at the moment, it has a thermostat and thats on number 2 out of 5 keeps the bedroom about 17c throughout the night - i am wonder if that is bumping up the bill

thanks for the link will have a read of that later ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

ah yes I didnt provide that I see. - No, oil boiler central heating that heats up secondary coil in immersion cylinder, so no electricity to heat hot water. Have a 1kw convector electric rad heater on all night at the moment, it has a thermostat and thats on number 2 out of 5 keeps the bedroom about 17c throughout the night - i am wonder if that is bumping up the bill

That seems quite excessive to me Andy, I would say that 12 to 14 Kwh/day would be more of the normal without using the convector heater.Your spend of €6/day @ 18c/kwh equals to 33 Kwh/day. I would say that the convector heater should not average more than 0.65 kw/hr which is around 6 Kwh/day over a 9 hour period, so you are left with about 13 Kwh (33-14-6) to account for. Tumble dryers consume a fair amount of power but 13 Kwh/day would seem excessive except you are drying a mighty lot of clothes.
    We average 12.5 Kwh/day, no tumble dryer or convector heater but do use a 9.5 Kw Electric Shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DIYalot

That sounds way too high...Just an example from the opposite end of the scale: 3 bed bungalow, two adults and Child. Solar hot water backed up by oil. LED and energy saving lights throughout. Never use the tumble dryer, we use a dehumidifier in the hot press and clothes hang and dry in there. All cooking done on 'A' rated appliances in kitchen. No heating on at night, just get yourself a good duvet! Heavy one for winter and lighter one for summer. We Use about 10.5kw per day, or about €1.70.

Electric Ireland would indicate Tumble Dryer consumption of 2.8 Kwh/5 Kg load. A 8.5 Kw shower will consume 1.4 Kwh for every 10 minute shower.

if i go by that website http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/help/
    it says average annual bill for 4 bedroomed house (we have 4 bed bungalow) should be €1,469 annually (6,800 kWh) which equates to €122.41 per month and then equates to €30.60 per week and then €4.37 per Day - so im not too far off that with roughly €5 to 6euro per day I suppose then - does that sound right

- looking back on my online bills from airtricity for last year, in the summer months my usage worked out to on average €3.43 a day .... so roll on summer is all i can say! :)

E-usage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Usage is usage though.

It's discount deals, unit prices and standing charges you need to be comparing.

In the Electricity Usage Graph I cannot for the life of me think why in july 2014 the bill was €10.86 when even in the winter the daily usage hasnt gone much over €6 per day - i cant pinpoint what we would have had on to double the usage charge in July2014 - seems out of pattern and peculiar

E-usage.jpg

• Advertisement

In the Electricity Usage Graph I cannot for the life of me think why in july 2014 the bill was €10.86 when even in the winter the daily usage hasnt gone much over €6 per day - i cant pinpoint what we would have had on to double the usage charge in July2014 - seems out of pattern and peculiar

E-usage.jpg

July bill may possibly have been an estimated one?. You can purchase quite cheap energy monitors from time to time in Maplins/Aldi/Liddle/etc for around €20 or less, stick these on the end of the 3 pin plug on the convection heater and the tumble dryer or whatever, if nothing else, they give a very good awareness of electrical consumption(s).

Due to a underfloor leak in my central heating in December 2013, I ran 2 X 2.5 Kw oil filled rads (24/7) for 7 days, I monitored the total consumption (via the ESB meter) and it averaged 45.5 Kwh/day.

Advertisement