Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water temp

Options
  • 13-04-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Anyone been in yet? What's the water temp like on the east coast at the minute? Contemplating starting back with a few acclimatisation sessions the next week or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

You're braver than I am. I'm not ready for that brain freeze yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Colder than the sea in January :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Was in two days last week(without wetsuit). Was fairly icy but than as I'm always told htfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Next weekend hopefully. Portmarnock on Saturday weather permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Yeah, might give it a go next weekend alright. Not expecting to last long, but even if I can get 10 minutes in it'd be a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I get in every couple of weeks (tide and weather dependent). I think it has been colder this year than last. For Dublin Bay you can check here: twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy according to it is 8.7 but I think it overstates it a little as it is in deeper water (deeper than Portmarnock). I've only been lasting about 3 mins but then I dont want my core to drop too much. Wetsuit will go on for practice in the next couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last year was a bit of an outlier I think - March, April and May were quite warm and it allowed things to warm up relatively quickly. Most of the open water venues here opened up in April last year, very little stirring before the early May bank holiday weekend this year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I still haven't been this year...was meant to go for a dip around easter in Sandycove, Kinsale..but kids had other plans so it never happened. I am actually dying to get in as I have some big open water swims plan this season, might even attempt one without a wetsuit!!!
    I think there were reports of kinsale water temp being above 10c last weekend!

Picked up a new wetsuit over the weekend so it needs christening:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Did first open water swim of the season this morning in salthil. Not a ripple on the water.
    Not as bad as expected. Ankles and wrists were cold by the end but great to be back outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Did first open water swim of the season this morning in salthil. Not a ripple on the water.
    Not as bad as expected. Ankles and wrists were cold by the end but great to be back outdoors

Cycled by this morning, it looked very calm alright. if he weather was going to hold for the weekend I'd be in but doesn't look like it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BTH wrote: »
    Cycled by this morning, it looked very calm alright. the weekend I'll be in.

Fair play to you BTH give me a shout when you go - I have Blue Seventyed up with hats, socks and gloves so I am ready, only my nose will go without neoprone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was tempted to get in myself this morning............However I just kept driving and went to the pool :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hampstead Heath ponds up to around 13c - going to have to get back in very soon!

I went in last weekend, somewhere in West Cork, beautiful, cold, but shelthered in a day where winds made it impossible to go around Sandycove! It was a bit lumpy, but managed 30mins. My husband went in as well, skins, for the first time this year 35 mins or so..it wasn't funny after, he was shaking mad for a while, will have to get used to it and he went again today for a Sandycove lap...hope to join him this weekend, with wetsuit of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

catweazle wrote: »
    Fair play to you BTH give me a shout when you go - I have Blue Seventyed up with hats, socks and gloves so I am ready, only my nose will go without neoprone ;)

Be warned. I got slagged of by the OAP's for wearing a wetsuit :-)
    6.30 am and there was already 4 of them finished their dip in just Swim wear.

Be warned. I got slagged of by the OAP's for wearing a wetsuit :-)
    6.30 am and there was already 4 of them finished their dip in just Swim wear.

I know plenty of them, not really OAP, but hardcore open water, no wetsuit, swimming all year around people....Maybe back at home, in the warm soapy mediterranean sea, but not here, thanks but no thanks!!

I was recently "asked" to be part of a relay team that's crossing the English Channel this summer, and it was one of the first things mentioned : you'll have to take off that wetsuit soon!!! I had to declined the offer btw..not sure my abilities stretch to that kind of swim just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I was in in Portmarnock on Sunday, easterly wind so it was pretty rough but was able to bob about for 10 minutes. Temp is up 1deg since last week, it'll hit 10 in the next few days hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2Cans

April - May stay away as the man sez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Was in Clogherhead last week. 1.2k out to the rocks and back. Was about 8-9 degrees. Gloves and boots but regular swim cap. Very rough and murky. Few nudges from the seals too. Enjoyed it though.

Got a 1.3k swim into the tank in Killiney this morning. Bit cold but not as bad as I was expecting. Called it a day when my feet went numb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

5 mins in Ballymoney today, couldn't get the wetsuit zipper closed so it was "invigorating" on my open back. Lots of high waves, a real swell, and f*cking freezing! Chalk and cheese compared to the pool. My kids got in too, no wetsuits for them. 99's on the way home, proper beach food.

First lap around sandycove this year done and dusted. It wasn't very pleasant, a bit rough for my liking at the corners, I get queasy when there is waves..even in the wave pool in Trabolgan , ear plugs needed me thinks . Cools didn't bother me too much, surprisingly enough, it was gorgeous when I got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Just to add some perspective as an Irish guy in Toronto.

Was thinking to myself hey its getting warmer, maybe I should take a dip in the lake this weekend (Lake Ontario). Unfortunately its still a rather chilly 2.5 degrees :(

It wont be a case of brain freeze, more a case of hypothermia and drowning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

2.5C, crikey.

Last year the river was nice and warm for the Athy swim, so with 5 weeks to go has anyone been in the Barrow yet and what is it like?

Went out to Killiney yesterday for a dip. Easily below 10, the brain freeze was an unwelcome visitor.
    Still though after a few minutes it was tolerable. Good to see a lot out swimming even though it was very choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

In the big blue tonight at Loughshinny. Was cold on the feet and hands but not bad once moving. Enjoyed it. No gloves and boots this time.

Advertisement