Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JB Bore cleaning compound.

Options
  • 12-04-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I tried JB bore cleaning paste in my hmr and found it stripped a lot of crud from the barrell, great. My concern is it feels quite abrasive, a bit like fine valve grinding paste. Anyone have any experience using it for ongoing cleaning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Deaf git wrote: »
    I tried JB bore cleaning paste in my hmr and found it stripped a lot of crud from the barrell, great. My concern is it feels quite abrasive, a bit like fine valve grinding paste. Anyone have any experience using it for ongoing cleaning?
    Hi Deaf git,JB should be only be used when needed .Great for carbon around the throat area.I rather use KG2 than JB !Neither of them would be like lapping paste ....so don't worry.
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Thanks for that. I've used it only twice so far and it produced manky black patches, 15-20 before the patches showed clean. Got me wondering if I was cleaning out steel instead of carbon and copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Fair play to you for trying it.. I'd be very wary.. I read that abrasives can restore lost accuracy in barrels by evening out the wear in the bore thus reintroducing consistency..sort of similar to bore break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I shot the rifle yesterday and it shot better for having had the stuffing cleaned out of it. I think jb is probably a bit harsh for ongoing cleaning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

David Tubb's Final Finish System... another aggressive cleaning system..
    read about it here...
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

I don't think us irish lads could get access to it, unless an RFD could do it..????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.busseltonrc.com/Articles/Speedy/JB%20Bore%20Cleaner%20How%20To%20Use.pdf

Here's an interesting little piece. Speedy is a well known bench rest shooter and gunsmith in the states. (The pic in the article is my gun club.)

You can now get felt "buttons" from Brownells for barrel cleaning that would do the trick too. Brownells sells a "kit" of JB Paste and Kroil to go with them. (PS: If you ever happen to use Kroil, DON'T get it anywhere near a rifle scope.)

Personally, I use JB occasionally with a patch wrapped around an old worn bore brush. That seems to work just fine and gets the tougher carbon out. For me JB and any of these methods are not for "regular" cleaning. Used as designed, not going to harm the bore. At the price of a bore scope, I will not be investing in one unless I win the lottery.

Advertisement