Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Pheasant

Options
  • 12-04-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    while driving to my fathers farm today i spotted what appeared to be a large black pheasant foraging in a neighbours farmland. I tried to get a good photograph with my smartphone but resulting images were quite poor. I will attach them in a subsequent post to this thread. It had the characteristic body shape, movement, red eye ring but no white neck ring. The plumage
    also had an iridescent green blue sheen. A quick google resulted in melanistic pheasant, a term I have encountered on flytying websites when ordering new materials.
    Are these birds common in the wild? I am based in South Leitrim. I am reluctant to consult the few members of my local gunclub for obvious reasons. Could it possibly be an intentional release by a breeder or even an escapee?

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/melanistic_mutant_pheasant.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

here's another photo

last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, quite common. Gun clubs release all kinds of crosses and colorations.

Thanks Srameen for clearing that up. I thought i was seeing things at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Usually referred to as a Melanistic. Can occur naturally in many species but with pheasants it's likely to have been deliberately bred like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement