Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DiY Alcove wardrobe

Options
  • 12-04-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello

I want to pop a wardrobe in an alcove at max 117cm wide (full height ceiling). Now don't shoot me down but I want to give it a go myself, gotta start somewhere.

So how 'easy' (I use that term very loosely) is it to achieve? I think I need to build a frame, but is this with batons as such or am I better with MDF panels? It is to having two hanging rails and whatever else fits in (hanging rails are the most important feature).

I also want to fix two floating shelves in alcoves approx. 120cm wide so any advice on that would be welcome too.

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Decide on what you want for doors, which can be bought pre-made, and then the rest of the design will fall out
    How deep is the alcove?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bramblecorner

Hi there

It is no more than 58cm deep.

I am thinking three hinged doors max depending on the width of them.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

58 is just about the min for sideways hanging of suits and clothes so you will need to have as much access as possible.

You can buy full length doors and I think you are looking at 2 by 590 wide meeting in the middle: 4 or 5 wide opening hinges on each
    http://www.handymanknowhow.co.uk/repairs/kitchen%20cupboard%20doors.htm
    You need to see how square the alcove is

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Starting with the doors is a good idea. You can then determine the width of the face frame. Don't forget to allow for the hinges. You can use brackets to attach the frame to the wall or make 'L' shaped frames by glueing two battens at right angles. At full height (8 foot ? ) you should get a hanging shelf at about 6 ft and overhead presses up to the ceiling. Smaller doors are needed for that. Whatever particle board you use for shelving you will probably have to reinforce the span by screwing on a 30mm batten.
    If you are not into cutting joints for the frame consider buying a pockethole jig - they are not too expensive and the joints are strong enough for face frame construction.

Advertisement