Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid of losing my Job.

Options
  • 11-04-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

So this August last year I started work experience at a local family owned restaurant, id know the owners well as I live in a rual area. So anyway started work experience and done that. it lasted 12 weeks over the summer. They asked me to stay on. So I was delighted to. Worked on weekends over this year. Im on starters and deserts for a while now. Then there 4/5 weeks a new chef started (replaced a chef that didn't get along the manager and made my life hell). He noticed I wasn't very fast at preping veg but im ok for the starters and desserts.

So this chef said to the owner last week that I wasn't very fast at preping ect. The owner said to the head chef that he can't keep me and will have to let me go if I don't get faster. I do try my best and I realise that it's stress full work ect. but I need this job for this year and next year to stay in college. (As im in 2nd year and I want to do 3rd and 4th year in other to progress on to a job in food development. As after 4th year the other college is 20min away and id be able to live at home.) But the problem with losing this job is that no hotels and most restaurants don't want commis chefs with little experience. But even though Im only on 5 euro an hour and long hours I still love the job. But they started timing me now when I do different jobs with is annoying but I can live with that.

But since the head chef told me (I could have cried, when I was told), I've been worrying about losing my job. I go to bed and wake up during the night worrying and stressed out. An other thing I'm hiding this from my parents as all the neighbours know I work here and id be so embarrassed for me and my parents if the the neighbours find out I lost my job as I wasn't good enough.

Any advice welcome
    Thanks.

Advertisement