Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I purchase house/apartment?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi All,

Need some advice. We are mortgage approved and have enough cash for deposit etc. We have been considering buying house for ourselves (around 220-230K mark, Dublin/Kildare area) but due to my job commitment we need to move outside the EU for 3 to 5 years.

The question I have is as we are mortgage approved, should we invest in a smaller property now (150-170K apartment) and rent it out for few years or is it a bad idea.

We will be moving in next 4 to 6 months.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

cais wrote: »
    Hi All,

Need some advice. We are mortgage approved and have enough cash for deposit etc. We have been considering buying house for ourselves (around 220-230K mark, Dublin/Kildare area) but due to my job commitment we need to move outside the EU for 3 to 5 years.

The question I have is as we are mortgage approved, should we invest in a smaller property now (150-170K apartment) and rent it out for few years or is it a bad idea.

We will be moving in next 4 to 6 months.

thanks in advance.

If your going to be out of the country for 3-5 years I would wait until you return to buy a property you want to live in yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'll be lucky to be closed by then. I'd save my money incase I decided no to return. No one can give you a cast iron guarantee on what's going to happen to the property market over the next few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you're going to be away that long I would hold off to see what the future holds. Being a landlord is a mugs game unless you are going in with your eyes wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree with all the sentiments so far.

Being a LL isn't something you walk into easily, and it would be complicated by not being in the country for the next 3-5years.

I'd pass on the mortgage approval now and look to buy again when (if?) you return.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If I were you and felt the urge to spend a huge sum of money for a property I wouldn't live in for another 5 years I think i'd commit myself.

I'd consider buying a site instead. saving up while working abroad to build when/if you return OR just keep saving the way you have done before now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some of the threads around on this subforum definitely make you feel that the Tiger is roaring again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MsMontgomery

What if you can't come back anymore after 3-5 years? Save your money first. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some of the threads around on this subforum definitely make you feel that the Tiger is roaring again!

I think if a certain party currently not in power, get into power in the next election. I think there will be slower investment into Ireland, as I cant see multinationals wanting to invest in a country with a party that is so anti-business. If they implement their tax policies, I can see high income earners possible leave the country and probably sell their investment property due to the tax burden. You could also see some young people/families leaving to the values, that the party have.

I think a certain party into Government will be massive dampener on the economy

Advertisement