Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take to make you move?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, something has been stressing me a great deal the past few days. How much of an increase in pay would it take to make you move roles?

Allow me to expand on that. I think Im going to be offered a job early next week. I had originally interviewed for a role that would have been a promotion in terms of progression from my present role. However, I was not selected for that role, but was invited to go forward for a role they thought I would be suitable for. Effectively, its the same role as the role Im in now, so a lateral move. Although initially I didnt want to go forward for it, after some persuasion from the recruiters, I did. The only attraction I had to the role is that in this company I may have a better chance of progression in future, as in my present company theres little opportunity.

The cons as I see it for moving are
    • I really like the place Im in now and enjoy going to work
    • I can see the positive impacts Ive had
    • My manager is fantastic, completely trust he has my best interests at heart
    • My co-workers are excellent and Im well respected
    • Theres a great work-life balance ethos in it

What my concern is the ability to progress; due to the structure its very hard to see how I could move up in the business. By going to a new business I obviously risk losing all of the above. Im in a new company, have to forge new relationships, start from scratch again, may not be as great a place to work, etc. But it likely means Ive a better chance of career progression.

Ive weighed up all of those reasons. The difference in salary (as this would be a lateral move into a similar role) would likely be between 3-10%. Based on the above, would you leave a job where you were quite happy for the higher possibility of career progression and a 3-10% increase in pay? The reason Im asking is because my personal feeling has swung quite strongly behind it not being worth leaving somewhere to make a lateral move, but worried Im thinking short term...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Personally it would take more than 10% to consider risking all the positives that you describe related to your job. I am sure that there are many folks here that would take a 10% cut to get these benefits in their current jobs.

But career progression is important too, how important to you, only you can determine. Progression is not certain in any role even when there are opportunities. will you be happy on your new salary for the time it will take to work yourself into position to be considered for promotion in you new company? You will need to weigh up the pro's and con's on the situation.

What industry are you in, that may help to provide more detailed advice?

Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, I wouldn't move in those circumstances.

You might not be able to get promoted where you are, but maybe if you hang on for another while you'll gain the experience you need to get a more senior role in a year or two elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

What are your chances of being taken back into the fold if you take a punt on the new job and it turns out not to be for you?

I've had several team members leave through the years who I would take back in an instant, in fact I recently rehired a chap who had moved on just like yourself in a move to better his own prospects. Your manager sounds very approachable, have you thought about sitting down with him and having an honest discussion? I know that he very likely will not be in a position to make you any promises, but it would be nice to know that returning again someday could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It also depends on job security too. If your secure where you are it might be too much risk moving.

I live in a rural region and jobs are very scarse. Positions suitable come up so rarely that it's attractive to hold on to a secure one when you have it. Living near The more major urban centres is different as there are more employment opportunities to fall back on.

Advertisement