Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absent from work because of child illness

Options
  • 11-04-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Been of work for a few days due to my child being ill ,so much so that he's been to hospital 3 times this week,was onto my manager today to advise I wouldn't b in for the rest of the weekend and he told me I may need a note from the hospital confirming we had attended on said days.My question is ,is this allowed and am I under obligation to get this information if requested? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Are they paying you while off??? Are u claiming a Force Majeur? Maybe they need paperwork to process same

Remember.. People up the line are accountable for their actions as well and he will want his arse covered when questions are asked down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems reasonable to me. They are not obliged to give you any time off for these issues so I would be thankful they are being so obliging. Best wishes for your little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

Masala wrote: »
    Are they paying you while off??? Are u claiming a Force Majeur? Maybe they need paperwork to process same

Remember.. People up the line are accountable for their actions as well and he will want his arse covered when questions are asked down the line.

On been paid, I'm not sure but would think not as it wasn't me personally out ill,with regards to force majeur I think I would have use my allocation of these up as my child has been in and out of hospital in the last 18months and I fully understand him having to C.H.A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's the problem with the request?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

What's the problem with the request?

Had never heard of this been requested before and didn't think the hospital would be to amused about been asked to write a note saying I was with my child on the days he was there,but after reading the mods response above I can't grumble and the more I think about it can see where there coming from.Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Most employers will ask for a certificate if your off work for more than 2 consecutive days. Whether it's you that is ill or a family member.

Quite normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My employer now asks for a doctors letter even confirming GP appointments.

I'd say the hospital would be well used to writing certs saying that Johnny Whoever (child of Mrs Whoever) was an inpatient from x to Y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

unir1916 wrote: »
    ... and didn't think the hospital would be to amused about been asked to write a note saying I was with my child on the days he was there...

No issue at all on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Any time I have been out with my child due to illness it was considered Force Majeure, when this entitlement was used up it was then taken out of my annual leave.

Advertisement