Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot retrieve Aer Lingus flight

Options
  • 10-04-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

I booked a flight to Florida(SNN-FLL) couple of days ago, first trip to US. I cannot do anything in Manage my booking option, wrong booking reference error or something BS. I have a confirmation email, same thing on my bank statement. I know it's not a direct flight, codeshare with JetBlue but how on earth I am suppose to change or add anything if I can retrieve nothing?(What boggles my mind if I change the departure or arrival city the system know it's not the original) The flight wasn't cheap but still cheap compared to other offers. Why I still need to call them and ask for this? Anyone could shed some light on this? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

padyjoe wrote: »
    I booked a flight to Florida(SNN-FLL) couple of days ago, first trip to US. I cannot do anything in Manage my booking option, wrong booking reference error or something BS. I have a confirmation email, same thing on my bank statement. I know it's not a direct flight, codeshare with JetBlue but how on earth I am suppose to change or add anything if I can retrieve nothing?(What boggles my mind if I change the departure or arrival city the system know it's not the original) The flight wasn't cheap but still cheap compared to other offers. Why I still need to call them and ask for this? Anyone could shed some light on this? Thank you!

If the flight wasn't booked on Aer Lingus website directly then you may not be able to add/change anything unless you call them. If it was booked on the website give customer service a call and explain the issue and they should be able to locate the booking and see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have the same problem with Aer Lingus/Jet Blue flight - have to ring Aer Lingus if you want to do anything with the booking. Also, AL can't/won't reserve seats on the JetBlue legs for you. However your booking confirmation will include a JetBlue PNR as well as the Aer Lingus one. With that you can call JetBlue directly and reserve your seat with them.

If you're interested, ask them how much the upgrade to premium economy is when you're on the phone with them - discovered that on my flight it was only an extra $40 to get the extra leg room seat on the JFK-FLL leg, which is definitely worth it to me - you can pay for it on the phone with them if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

It was booked on aerlingus.com. I wonder why they send you the usual email if you must phone them?? If I don't contact them would be enough to sort the missing details on the day of travel? Have my ESTA Visa, I think added my API (redress no, etc.) while booked. TBH it's an awful way treating passangers on their first longhaul trip! I've had so many shorthaul trips with different airlines never had these shambles! You pay big bucks, do the paperworks, etc., then you're the one start to worry over money is gone at the time of booking and will get nothing in return!

It was booked on aerlingus.com. I wonder why they send you the usual email if you must phone them?? If I don't contact them would be enough to sort the missing details on the day of travel? Have my ESTA Visa, I think added my API (redress no, etc.) while booked. TBH it's an awful way treating passangers on their first longhaul trip! I've had so many shorthaul trips with different airlines never had these shambles! You pay big bucks, do the paperworks, etc., then you're the one start to worry over money is gone at the time of booking and will get nothing in return!

I can give you a lot of the technical answers, but it basically comes down to the fact that while they're partner airlines, they don't have integrated systems. They can't allow you go on and do just the normal Aer Lingus online stuff either, in case something you do impacts the Jet Blue booking (even though something as simple as adding API or seat selection wouldn't have any impact). Because of the lack of integration, you need to do various things over the phone. The reason you still get emails saying "do it online!" is because their systems just look at the fact you've booked a flight, and that automatically triggers mails at different times.

They don't know it's your first longhaul trip, or that it's stressing you out. You will be on the flight, it will all be grand. You have your ESTA (which is nothing really to do with the airline), so that's OK. Check your passport validity (again, nothing to do with Aer Lingus) to make sure it's valid for at least 6 months after you fly.

Think about what else you were wanting to do online:
    API - you can phone them and give them details if you're not 100% sure they have everything
    Seat selection - same phone call (but they can only book your Aer Lingus seats)
    Special meal requirements? - same phone call
    Physical assistance at the airport? - same phone call
    Purchase extra baggage allowance? - same phone call

Check-in? You'll need to do that at the airport the day of travel, but you're probably checking in luggage anyway (I'm assuming), so I've found that for the US flights it's as handy to check-in at the airport.

Three things in life are certain - death, taxes, and the fact that Aer Lingus will do whatever they please :) Enjoy your holiday! Are you planning on cruising from Fort Lauderdale or staying in the area?

I can't thank you enough! It's much more clear now.(These should be on their website too!) I got a special accommodation to stay in which is not too far away from the airport. I'm going to be based there then make trips to different parts of Florida, more interested in south but we want to see as much as possible in 12 days.

• Advertisement

I'm flying DUB-FLL next week with Aer Lingus/Jet Blue - hence I've run into all the same questions you've had :) I did the same trip a couple of years ago, but it was arranged by a travel agent so I didn't have to think about all the bits, so it was a bit shocking to discover that you can't get into the booking online like you can with a normal Aer Lingus flight.

Are you going through JFK? If so, it's really easy - I was concerned the first time about the transfer in JFK, but as it happens Aer Lingus flights land as domestic passengers in JFK Terminal 5, which is JetBlue's "own" terminal. The first time I went, when I checked in in Dublin they checked my suitcase all the way through to FLL, but couldn't check me in for the JetBlue flight itself, which gave me a panic attack the whole way across. Again it's due to the systems not being integrated. When I landed in JFK I just went to the nearest Jet Blue desk (which was right there when I landed) and they checked me in in about 30 seconds. You don't have to go "land side" at all, so there's no hassle with security or customs or anything.

I find Terminal 5 a bit dull - I'm not that interested in shopping, and there's not a huge amount to do there, but there's plenty of places to get food of varying types, and none of the gates are terribly far apart.

Fort Lauderdale airport is relatively small. The main weird thing I found is that you can wander from the luggage carousel to outside the airport and back in again. Again, you're landing as domestic, and apparently people can come meet their friends IN the baggage claim - very weird when you're not used to it!

Ask if you have any other questions - I know I wanted to know a million silly things before I went. One "tip" if you're interested in watching a movie on the flight is that Aer Lingus list their new inflight movies here for two months at a time. So currently they're listing April/May, and they'll update the page again on June 1st/2nd to cover June/July.

This is a really extensive information! Leaving from Shannon on next Thursday via JFK. It puts my mind at ease about the travel. There are just too many things to do there! Would you have any recommendation besides Orlando (theme parks), Space Center, Miami, Key West, etc.? I know this a complex question, so better off keep looking on websites and in books. Would be nice to sample the local cuisine, something really tasty, leaving the junk out. I'll need a car as well (which can be had with a debit card), hopefully can find a reasonably priced and a reliable rental company with no nasty surprises. The next thing no to be missed: shopping. Don't really want splash the cash rather to see what they have offer and how it's been done there. Those 12 days should be relaxed, nothing in rush simply enjoy the view and atmosphere.

Would you have any recommendation besides Orlando (theme parks), Space Center, Miami, Key West, etc.? ....

The next thing no to be missed: shopping. Don't really want splash the cash rather to see what they have offer and how it's been done there. Those 12 days should be relaxed, nothing in rush simply enjoy the view and atmosphere.

Join us for dinner Saturday night :) (That place is not fancy, is not near anywhere else, it's just handy for the hotel - I'm not recommending it).

I really don't know Florida that well, as I mainly land, sleep then cruise. Take a look at this port guide - it's aimed at people cruising, but there are some good links there to other things.

Sawgrass Mills is a huge mall west of Fort Lauderdale. There are ways to get buses there from the beach side of things, but if you've rented a car that would be easiest. Apparently it's not to be missed (but yet, I always miss it). There's also The Galleria, which is closer to the main drag. That's got a Macy's, Neumann Marcus etc. (Show your non-Florida ID and get 10% off all purchases at Macy’s—just go upstairs to gift wrapping and they’ll provide you with a visitor’s pass that you present to the sales clerk to get your discount.) Look up the websites of both in advance and print out any coupons they have there.

Buy a day ticket for the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) and just cruise around, staring if you want a quiet day. You can hop on and hop off and see the local sights. The sun trolley is, iirc, free for most routes, or $1 for others. You can buy a day pass for $3. You just flag them down when you see them.

I have an entire page of notes from other people that I can copy and paste in if you like. I never ended up doing 99% of what was suggested, but it lists shopping places, restaurants and suggests going to the 17th street bridge to see the ships leaving. The Allure of the Seas is leaving around 4:30pm on the Sunday - currently the biggest cruise ship in the world. If you're hanging around it's worth seeing just to see the size of it.

Why I thought by cruising that getting into a car and go for a spin?:-) I see you're into marine. Thanks for the suggestions, it's a lot and our list keep growing and growing. ;-) I guess we're going to set a priority which things we like to see the most and once it's has been done and time left we go further down. Might drop in for that dinner to see what's the craic there.;-) All in all we'll go for the scenery nothing beats Mother Nature when it comes to be get yourself amazed. Hopefully it'll be a nice, dry, sunny weather we need some top up it's been a long time since we've seen temperatures of mid-twenties here.

Advertisement