Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Equality Studies

Options
  • 10-04-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys! I was thinking of applying for the masters in equality studies and I was just looking for opinions from former students. I'm currently in my final year of a BA in UCD and I took a few modules in social justice and have found it extremely interesting. However, I am concerned that the course might be heavily law influenced and I'm put off by that. Would I be able to manage that side of the course without having taken the law and social justice degree? Also I can't seem to find anywhere on the website how many places are available on the course so any help with that would be great! Any help would really be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aFunnyWorld

Hi, still an undergrad I'm afraid but jumping on your post to comment that I am interested in taking a social justice elective next year when I'm back from Erasmus and would like some advice. I'm a politics/economics student and thought during my last year of undergrad I should add some ethics/moral considerations to the knowledge I have accumulated.

Going fro my hypothetical timetable, it seems that the only elective that I could be interested in and that fits my timetable would be 'Feminism and Gender Justice', a level 2 module with 80% essay (uh oh) and 20% tutorials grading.

Do you have any experience with this module and how did you enjoy it? Do you have any specific recommendations for electives in the School of Social Justice? Unfortunately it's too late for me to do the structured electives (graduating next year) but I'd like to take one or two classes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Going fro my hypothetical timetable, it seems that the only elective that I could be interested in and that fits my timetable would be 'Feminism and Gender Justice', a level 2 module with 80% essay (uh oh) and 20% tutorials grading.

Did it last semester. It's a snazzy module. It's just a general introduction to feminist theory and practice, really interesting stuff. The material on Ireland and the Justice for Magdalene campaign especially so. The module coordinator excels at offering a non-judgmental space to discuss such issues.

As to the practical side. The essays are usually due around start of exam-time. However, the titles are left up all throughout the semester, so you can pretty much get cracking at your leisure. Honestly had 'fun' doing it. There's a five minute in-class presentation thing as a kind of mid-term, but it's covered broadly in the 'attendance and contribution' bit of the grade.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Did it last semester. It's a snazzy module. It's just a general introduction to feminist theory and practice, really interesting stuff. The material on Ireland and the Justice for Magdalene campaign especially so. The module coordinator excels at offering a non-judgmental space to discuss such issues.

As to the practical side. The essays are usually due around start of exam-time. However, the titles are left up all throughout the semester, so you can pretty much get cracking at your leisure. Honestly had 'fun' doing it. There's a five minute in-class presentation thing as a kind of mid-term, but it's covered broadly in the 'attendance and contribution' bit of the grade.

Thanks for your reply! It does seem pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to take the module and educate myself on feminism in an academic setting (learning off the internet is nice and accessible but not very rigorous).

One more thing - how did you feel the module was like in terms of difficulty? I am prepared to put in the time for readings and essay-writing but I would like to maintain a >4.0 or at least 1st-class GPA in order to get into my dream school for masters and last semester my lowest grade was an elective which I was quite bummed about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Bits of it can be a little challenging, like parts of MacKinnon and Fineman, but it is completely straight-forward and approachable. I'd wager doing the designated lecture/tutorial readings (hour and a half a week, tops) and having a couple of responses to it would be enough to land you in your desired grade area.

Thanks for your reply!! My friend who studies Law is a big fan of MacKinnon so I'll ask her to help me out with those readings ;) If you have any recommendations for other/Additional social justice electives I'm happy to hear them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement