Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire Purchase

Options
  • 10-04-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a 131 car with a 12 month gtee from a very large, well known garage. After about a month the car is giving major engine problems valves need to be replaced and piston damage. It's now in an opel garage for repair.

My question, i traded in my own car worth 6k and took out a hire purchase amount of 7k, 13k in total to buy the the car. I'm not happy to continue with this car as i would imagine it will give me problems in the future. Is it possible to get a refund from the garage (even though my own car that i traded in is gone) Can I give back the car to the garage and will i have to pay the interest of c. 3k on the 7k hire purchase so 10k back to the bank? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi,

I recently bought a 131 car with a 12 month gtee from a very large, well known garage. After about a month the car is giving major engine problems valves need to be replaced and piston damage. It's now in an opel garage for repair.

My question, i traded in my own car worth 6k and took out a hire purchase amount of 7k, 13k in total to buy the the car. I'm not happy to continue with this car as i would imagine it will give me problems in the future. Is it possible to get a refund from the garage (even though my own car that i traded in is gone) Can I give back the car to the garage and will i have to pay the interest of c. 3k on the 7k hire purchase so 10k back to the bank? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Its not really case of you can just hand it back. You have rights under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act but they have taken it in for repair and this part of their responsibility of selling the motor.

Essentially you have 2 contracts here. 1 for the car purchase with the garage and another with the bank. The bank will not be bothered if car working or not this is down to the contract between you and the garage. Likewise the garage not much concerned on the interest over the term of the loan as this is between you and the bank.

Advertisement