Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Integration

Options
  • 10-04-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I'm having some trouble approaching the following triple integration question:
    I understand I need to find suitable limits for my triple integral but I'm unsure on how to go about finding these. The examples I've found online have been for much simpler triple integrals.
    Use triple integration to find the volume of the region enclosed by z = x^2 +y^2 and z = 18 − x^2 − y^2.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm having some trouble approaching the following triple integration question:
    I understand I need to find suitable limits for my triple integral but I'm unsure on how to go about finding these. The examples I've found online have been for much simpler triple integrals.
    Use triple integration to find the volume of the region enclosed by z = x^2 +y^2 and z = 18 − x^2 − y^2.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi there! The charter forbids me from doing the problem for you.

To get you started, set the two curves equal to each other to see what you get.

Also think about a change of coordinate system.

Post back if you need more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

TheBody wrote: »
    Hi there! The charter forbids me from doing the problem for you.

To get you started, set the two curves equal to each other to see what you get.

Also think about a change of coordinate system.

Post back if you need more help!

Hi, so setting them equal I get x^2 + y^2 = 9, ie a circle at origin of radius 3.

I guess you are referring to polar coordinates here so by changing to this system then I could integrate over 0 to 2pi for z and over limits for x and y from this circle equation?

Hi, so setting them equal I get x^2 + y^2 = 9, ie a circle at origin of radius 3.

I guess you are referring to polar coordinates here so by changing to this system then I could integrate over 0 to 2pi for z and over limits for x and y from this circle equation?

Not sure I understand the bit in bold but I think you have the idea.

Anyway, switching to cylindrical coordinates and noting that [latex]x=r\cos (\theta)[/latex] and [latex]x=r\sin (\theta)[/latex], the z limits will be:

[latex]z=x^2+y^2=r^2[/latex] and
    [latex]z=18-x^2-y^2=18-(x^2+y^2)=18-r^2[/latex].

The r limits will be from 0-3 and the [latex]\theta[/latex] limits will run from [latex]0-2\pi[/latex].

TheBody wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the bit in bold but I think you have the idea.

Anyway, switching to cylindrical coordinates and noting that [latex]x=r\cos (\theta)[/latex] and [latex]x=r\sin (\theta)[/latex], the z limits will be:

[latex]z=x^2+y^2=r^2[/latex] and
    [latex]z=18-x^2-y^2=18-(x^2+y^2)=18-r^2[/latex].

The r limits will be from 0-3 and the [latex]\theta[/latex] limits will run from [latex]0-2\pi[/latex].

thanks for the help, so is this the correct integral?:

int[2pi, 0]int[3, 0]int[r^2, 18 - r^2] dz dr dtheta or have I gone wrong?

thanks for the help, so is this the correct integral?:

int[2pi, 0]int[3, 0]int[r^2, 18 - r^2] dz dr dtheta or have I gone wrong?

Almost, you forgot the Jacobian because you switched to cylindarical coords. i.e. you pick up an r in the integration.

[latex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^3\int_{r^2}^{18-r^2} r dz dr d\theta[/latex]

• Advertisement

ah yeah thanks very much for your help!

ah yeah thanks very much for your help!

No problem. Glad I could help.

Advertisement