Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a housemate to leave

Options
  • 10-04-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm currently sharing a house with two other people, one a friend who has been living there almost two years, and the other a stranger who moved in two months ago. I have been living there for two years and my name is on the original lease.

We would like to ask the new housemate to leave as he is not clean, keeps unsociable hours and is generally not a good fit. He completely misrepresented himself and his interests when he came to view the house initially. He has not signed any lease or contract. Can we ask him to leave at the end of the next rental month (thus giving him one month's notice to find somewhere new)? What kind of rights do we have around showing the room?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can ask him to leave today, if you want.

IMHO, get him out ASAP, and only charge him rent for the days he's actually there. Anything else just draws out the misery for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jessaj

That's good to hear! There's no massive urgency to get him out, it's annoying for us but we don't feel unsafe or anything, so we are both happy to give him a month to find somewhere else, we were just concerned at what the legal position would be if he refused to leave.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jessaj wrote: »
    That's good to hear! There's no massive urgency to get him out, it's annoying for us but we don't feel unsafe or anything, so we are both happy to give him a month to find somewhere else, we were just concerned at what the legal position would be if he refused to leave.

Thanks!

Does he pay his rent to you or to the landlord? If he deals only with you then he is not a tenant but a licensee and can be asked to leave with minimal notice but if he deals with the landlord and his rent is passed on to the landlord then he is a tenant and has tenants rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jessaj

It's a little of both - we showed the room and picked a housemate, but our landlord requested a work and landlord reference and they went to her, not us. She also has his deposit. We all give rent to my other housemate, who pays the full rent by direct debit each month. I'm honestly not sure if a sublease or assignment of tenancy, seems like a bit of a grey area. In any case, it seems like his maximum rights are a month's notice, so happy days!

Thanks foggy_lad for your help!

Advertisement