Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining Garden

Options
  • 10-04-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

My dad is moving into a rented property. The back garden is all patio but the front garden is grass.

He has been advised that he needs to cut the grass in the front garden but the landlord will not supply a lawn mower. He does not have his own one to use either.

Can the landlord do this without supply the equipment? He would be more than happy to do so if the equipment is supplied but does not want to go to the expense of buying his own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

davo2001 wrote: »
    Quick question.

My dad is moving into a rented property. The back garden is all patio but the front garden is grass.

He has been advised that he needs to cut the grass in the front garden but the landlord will not supply a lawn mower. He does not have his own one to use either.

Can the landlord do this without supply the equipment? He would be more than happy to do so if the equipment is supplied but does not want to go to the expense of buying his own.

Is the subject mentioned in the lease, some specifically mention Grass cutting obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

No, verbal only.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can he borrow from a neighbour?

Can he borrow from a neighbour?

He doesn't know the neighbours! I'm sure he could but I don't think he should have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unless specifically stated in the lease, grass cutting and such is typically considered part of the tenant's obligations. It falls under the same heading as hoovering, washing, etc. Should be straightforward to find a neighbour with a teenager who'd be happy to earn €20 once a month to cut some grass.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    He doesn't know the neighbours! I'm sure he could but I don't think he should have to.

Well what better way to get to know them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

ted1 wrote: »

Where in the article does it say that?

All the article says is that maintenance of the garden should be covered in the lease and that some landlords provide a lawnmower.

That does not equate to gardening being the landlord's responsibility.

That does not equate to gardening being the landlord's responsibility.

Gardening is not the lsndlords responsibility provided that he provides the equipment required for the up keep

Gardening is not the lsndlords responsibility provided that he provides the equipment required for the up keep

Thanks, equipment not supplied so will ask the landlord to supply a mower if they want the grass cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I'm not sure why you are quoting me. I never said it was the LL's resposibility

• Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Under the housing regulations, the landlord is responsible for garden maintenance. There is nothing to stop the lease transferring those responsibilities to the tenant.

So, borrow / hire a lawnmower somewhere or hire someone to cut the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

seamus wrote: »
    Should be straightforward to find a neighbour with a teenager who'd be happy to earn €20 once a month to cut some grass.

20 a go? :eek:

For a standard house in an estate?

I used to pay a local lad 6 euro to do front and back and he was happy to get it

Victor wrote: »
    Under the housing regulations, the landlord is responsible for garden maintenance. There is nothing to stop the lease transferring those responsibilities to the tenant.

So, borrow / hire a lawnmower somewhere or hire someone to cut the grass.

Victor it's not quite that clear.
    A landlord must also maintain the house but that does not include hovering.

Providing a lawn mower is regarded suffucent enough as maintaining the garden. The pruning of trees etc is more like structural work that is done by the land lord.

Our LL comes around to do all the weeding and tidying up outside every so often (no grass but plenty of weeds, shrubs needing tidying etc). Never even suggested that we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Think it would be utterly unreasonable for the landlord not to supply a lawnmower and somewhere to store it. And then for the tenant to maintain the garden. Not speaking from a lease perspective, just a 'anything else is insane' perspective. Can't believe people rent houses from someone who does their weeding for them! If you want the enjoyment of a garden you should maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Tell the landlord to naff off unless he provides a lawnmower and a shed to keep it in

Can't believe people rent houses from someone who does their weeding for them! If you want the enjoyment of a garden you should maintain it.

Nobody in the house has has any interest in the garden, it's not even grass it's been covered it pebbles in order that it doesn't need much maintenance but weeds and small trees still grow up through it. The LL has always looked after it and to be honest if he didn't it would grow wild like it has up until recently as he hadn't a chance to come and sort it for a good while.

You're still expected to keep the floors clean, even if the LL doesn't provide a hover!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You're still expected to keep the floors clean, even if the LL doesn't provide a hover!

I've always had a hoover provided in every rental I've lived in. When there was a lawn, the LL also provided a lawnmower, and I cut the grass. In the last place with a lawn, the LL offered to cut the grass, but I said I was happy to do it once there was a lawnmower (which there was, albeit on its last legs). The landlord also used to come up once a year and do 'big' jobs in the garden, such as cutting hedges, shrubs, etc. as well as painting rooms, carpets, mattresses, etc.

There was an interesting thread on maintaining lawns a couple of years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055836451

If it was me, I'd ask the landlord to provide a lawnmower if they want the grass maintained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement