Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Fire alarm. Traumatic experience. Can I sue the property management?

Options
  • 10-04-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Following is the letter I wrote to property manager of my apartment. Please advice if the property management can actually be seen as responsible for my trauma.

- Around 12 AM,when I am in my bed, fire alarm goes off.
    - Having only moved in to the apartment and the country a few days ago, I respond to the fire alarm like you are supposed to, rush out of my apartment and the building.
    - Only one other tenant was outside, who informed me this is a false fire alarm and it happens very often. He added this has been informed to the management but it has not been fixed for months.And that is why every other tenant who has lived there for sometime did not react to the fire alarm.
    - Now I realize I must be locked out of my apartment. I am in my PJs without my cell phone, socks or shoes. This tenant calls the emergency number on my behalf.
    - A lady answered the phone, listens to my story, tells me that she will inform the security right away and they will get there as soon as they can and help me out. I thank her and hang up.
    - About an hour later a security shows up, completely unaware of my situation until I tell him. He shuts the fire alarm. Informs me that some other driver (he was referring to another security I guess) will come around with a master key for my house and let me in and he apologized he cannot be of any help and rushed out of the building.
    - I wait for little over an hour and no security (or anyone for that matter) shows up. Luckily, another tenant enters the building at this point. I explain my situation to him. He was nice enough to take me in to his apartment (so I can stay warm) and calls the emergency number again.
    - Now the gentleman who responds to my emergency call informs me that he is going to try someone who might have a master key. Puts me on hold trys a number but no answer. He says there is nothing he can do about it and offers me to provide a locksmiths number. I said I have access to a computer at this point and I can find it myself and that someone should have informed me this 3 hours ago.
    - I call a lock smith (Lock Doctor), who finally lets me in to my apartment and charges me 120 euros (receipt attached) for his quick services.

If the lady who answered the phone or the security guy who showed up or anyone else involved in this entire chain of events were more responsible and genuinely tried to help or offer appropriate advice in time, my night wouldn't have been so traumatic.

Thanks,
    Anu

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

anantu36 wrote: »
    Please advice if the property management can actually be seen as responsible for my trauma.

You rushed out with no keys. How is that their fault?

Yes, a faulty fire alarm should be fixed, however, they may be waiting on parts, or may have a funding issue.

Your situation is very unfortunate, but next time bring a jacket and bring keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Legal advice is not allowed. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement