Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a PRTB complaint worthwhile?

Options
  • 10-04-2015 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi

Is it worthwhile goin through Ptrb for damage done to a house.

I had a house rented with management company. They inspected house when tenants moved out and gave back deposit. Now a few days after I've found broken dining chairs, holes drilled through pvc frames in downstairs windows, hidden with tape. Blinds broken, bed broken. How the management company inspected it an said it was ok is beyond me, seems they walked in it looked clean and they passed it.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Have you called the management company? Have you checked what they are required to do as part of their contract with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Sounds like you need to change agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure the PRTB can help you here. The agent acting on your behalf gave the thumbs up and returned the deposit, so the tenants are in the clear. They could very easily claim the damage was done after they left.

Failure to properly inspect the property is a contractual matter between you and your agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

No reason you can't claim through the PRTB. There may be evidential difficulties. The PRTB will want before and after photos. You would be as well to do it and claim seperately later against the agents for negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭al-pal

Have you called the management company? Have you checked what they are required to do as part of their contract with you?

I called them and they just kept pushing Ptrb route on me. I questioned what the point of paying them and them holding deposits etc but the blanked all those questions and went back saying Ptrb. Have cancelled my dealings with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

• Advertisement

Eldarion wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to change agents.

I know Eldarion. Have done and have gone from recommending them to telling anyone who asks to steer clear!

seamus wrote: »
    Not sure the PRTB can help you here. The agent acting on your behalf gave the thumbs up and returned the deposit, so the tenants are in the clear. They could very easily claim the damage was done after they left.

Failure to properly inspect the property is a contractual matter between you and your agent.

That's what I thought. I'll be getting back on to them again Monday and seeing what I can do. Thanks.

No reason you can't claim through the PRTB. There may be evidential difficulties. The PRTB will want before and after photos. You would be as well to do it and claim seperately later against the agents for negligence.

All photos I had were on my laptop which died and stupidly I hadn't them backed up. I'll chance the agent Monday and go from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A lot of the items you list might come under wear and tear, cord on blinds breaks as well as beds and chairs break over time with use. This is just one of the pitfalls of being a landlord. When you live in your own house you mind your stuff so it will generally not suffer too much under general use but when in rented accommodation stuff must be stronger to withstand the added strain of being used by people who don't have any attachment to it. The level of wear and tear is set higher for rented accommodation than it is for your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

al-pal wrote: »
    All photos I had were on my laptop which died and stupidly I hadn't them backed up. I'll chance the agent Monday and go from there

without photos/evidence you are wasting your time with PRTB. You will get laughed out of it, these tenants got their deposit back after inspection.

Your only option is a PRSA complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

al-pal wrote: »

On a practical note do you still have the laptop? The photos may not be gone. It is possible to retrieve files in most cases. If you still have it bring it to a computer repair place and ask them to try and retrieve the data from the hard drive. It's Worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

For future reference, I'd get the agent to do a full inventory report with pictures. You sign it, tenant signs it, the agent signs it. Do the same when the tenant moves out - Inventory report with pictures, signed by all parties.

In other words - a check-in and check out report. Might cost you a couple of quid, but saves aggro. If it can't speak, it can't lie!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The guys are right- once the agent signed off on it- the tenants are in the clear. Any comeback you have- is with the agent- not the tenant. It sounds (from the list you gave) like the damage is substantial- and is far beyond what even the most liberal of interpretations might consider to be normal wear and tear. I'd suggest getting someone in to remedy all the damage (as you can't charge for your own time)- and take a case against the agent. In the first instance I would contact the agent with the bill for remedying the sitation. In the second instance- I would contact the PSRA. Finally- I would take a civil action against them.

Agents like that are absolute cowboys and should be removed from the system asap for the sake of both tenants and landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

It's not the PRTB - the Private Residental Tenancies Board, that you want it's the PRSA - Property Services Regulatory Authority.

They deal with complaints about estate agents, letting agents and auctioneers

Advertisement