Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Richie Benaud

Options
  • 10-04-2015 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

Not the biggest cricket fan these days but I loved watching Test cricket years back and this guy was the voice of cricket, for me. One of the great commentators and cricket ambassadors of all time, very sad to see that he's passed away.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/32182999

RIP Richie Benaud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Very sad news.

One of the best commentators ever of any Sport. He always captured the mood of the game and made watching a good game a better experience.

And a fine player in his day too. RIP Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RIP.

50 years as both a commentator and analyst and never once referred to Australia as "we".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Unlike some of the commentators we have in the commentary box nowadays he always knew when to talk and when to allow the action on the field to speak for itself ......

Quite easily the best cricket commentator of my generation

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A great commentator, the best on TV by a country mile. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

"Glenn McGrath dismissed for two - just 98 runs short of his century"

We could go on endlessly about the great man and his commentary gems, but in his spirit, the obvious does not need to be stated. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

As a kid watching test cricket on the BBC in the 70's on my long summer holidays, Richie Benaud (John Arlott and Jim Laker) were my childhood cricketing voices, a good innings mate and RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A brilliant commentator and observer of the game - and a very talented player & shrewd tactician too.

My favourite quote was when a poor batsman aimed a total mow at a ball outside off stump and managed to chinese-cut it down to fine leg: "That's not to be confused with a good shot..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its really sad to see guys like Richie passing on, especially in todays world of absolutely awful commentators. The likes of Richie Benaud, Bill McLaren, Murray Walker will never be replaced. Proper, knowledgeable commentators, respected by everyone. Its a sad day for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Very sad to hear this news, in an era where commentary standards is very low, his loss will be felt hugely.

Fantastic player as well, which is easy to forget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pretty much the only justifiable reason to put up with channel 9 commentary, a sad loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

One of the finest cricket commentators EVER. Only Peter West could match Ritchie Benaud IMO.

RIP Ritchie.

Advertisement