Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing date on sale

Options
  • 09-04-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

How likely is it that a sale will go through on the agreed closing date?

Can a seller dig in a delay the sale, and if they do does the buyer have any recourse with regards compensation for the delay in sale?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Jovetic wrote: »
    How likely is it that a sale will go through on the agreed closing date?

Can a seller dig in a delay the sale, and if they do does the buyer have any recourse with regards compensation for the delay in sale?

Thanks

I would say it depends on the length of time of the delay , are you talking weeks or months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Just in general. I'm just wondering if it is common that a closing date gets pushed back, or do they generally close on the closing date agreed? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Jovetic wrote: »
    Just in general. I'm just wondering if it is common that a closing date gets pushed back, or do they generally close on the closing date agreed? Thanks!

I think the norm is close on the agreed closing date . That said could be a delay getting deeds , property tax etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Add house and especially mortgage insurance the latter can delay things if not planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I personally would never rely on a closing date in a contract. Things cause delays all the time. Usually they will small, but I certainly wouldn't be relying on the date - i.e. giving up my rented flat on that day to move. It's written into the contract what happens in delay situations (interest etc) but in reality a short delay is normal. If there is a long delay and/or you are worried they are not going ahead you can take action, but the legal fees could be substantial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The buyer has very little recourse. After 28 days proceedings for specific performance can be initiated but realistically you just have to grin and bear it. Your solicitor will discuss what clauses might need to be inserted into the contract such as a loan clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Usually a Sale should close on the date agreed, short delays do occur from things like bank transfers taking longer than they are supposed to or LPT clearance being delayed but anything more then 3 days should have your solicitor asking questions and looking for an explanation.

Despite that its not a great idea to give up your current accommodation before getting the keys to your new place. It has happened that first time buyers have arranged to move out of their rented accommodation the same day they are due to get the keys and then find themselves homeless when the sale is held up for a day or two.

Advertisement