Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bjj Gi

Options
  • 09-04-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Just looking for advice on buying my first Bjj gi,
    I know I'm a A2 but what make should I go for and what website is best to buy it off,
    I see there's some that are around 80 euro all the way up to 160, Just wondering any advice in getting one, what makes or how much should I spend ,
    Really link the look of the venom ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Hey folks
    Just looking for advice on buying my first Bjj gi,
    I know I'm a A2 but what make should I go for and what website is best to buy it off,
    I see there's some that are around 80 euro all the way up to 160, Just wondering any advice in getting one, what makes or how much should I spend ,
    Really link the look of the venom ones

It's very much a personal choice - I'd ask a few people in the gym who are a similar build to you. An A2 in one brand may fit differently to another brand.

I've had Atama, MKimono, HCK and a random judogi. The MKimono was the best fit, HCK the hardest wearing, Atama the best balance between the two. My first gi was a judogi - over a decade later the jacket is still in relatively good condition, so don't discount them just because the cut is slightly different - it makes no difference except at fairly decent level competition.

There are also a few Irish companies producing gis - although I've never had one, I haven't heard anything but good reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does your club have its own GI ? If not ask your coach as he'd be able to give you some advice. I've two Tatami Gi and they are great, I also have a club GI that the coach ordered that I use for comps.
    Saying that I'd love to get a DiFirmo GI as they are meant to be top notch. Very pricey though.

Also if your only starting out and training more than one night a week it might be hard to get one GI washed and dried for a second night. Might be an idea to buy two cheaper GI and alternate them. Nothing worse than rolling with someone with a wet or smelly GI :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My brother loves his Wolfhound Gi. My missus is a fan of Tatami, but she is planning on getting a Venom one soon.
    The club they are in has started to stock them so I'm sure most of the members will all be kitted out in Venom soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've heard good things about wolfhound.
    I'm considerign a custom one from Killer bee soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How would you rate the Woflhound Gi's versus Tattami or Koral ones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I have a Wolfhound one and a Tatami one, they are both equally good quality, they feel almost the exact same on - they are the 2 heaviest gis I own (out of 5 different brands). The Wolfhound one is cut slightly larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

for 5'7 about 75 kilo's would you say A1 or A2 in the wolfhound ?
    Outa interest whats your favourite brand to wear

for 5'7 about 75 kilo's would you say A1 or A2 in the wolfhound ?
    Outa interest whats your favourite brand to wear

I'm 5'6 and 59kg and I take an A1. Might be a bit tight on you. A lot of the manufacturers have measurements on their sites to help with sizing your GI so I'd try those out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'm 5'6, 78kg and currently wear an A1. A2 is mostly too long on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

One thing to look for is whether or not the gi is pre-shrunk or not. If it's not there chances of it shrinking when washing/drying are a lot higher than with a pre-shrunk gi.

Now, you can take steps to prevent this or reduce that chance even further, but it is something a novice like myself didn't even consider when first purchasing a gi.

I uses the Vulkan Pro Light Gi series as I've found them to be the best fit for me personally. Durable but light. I originally bought an A3 because I read up online and figured it would shrink... it didn't :P

Now I'm 6ft, 74kg and wear the A2 size perfectly. I also owned a Sub Only A2 in White but the jacket shrunk horrifically on it, so I gave it to a training partner and it fits him fine. The build quality was fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you're looking for info on Wolfhound, ask away, I am the co-owner. Mods, I am not shilling, just giving some info about our products so I hope its OK?

In regards to the cut, they are slightly larger than traditional cuts as we felt that traditional cuts didn't reflect the larger European sizing.

All our Gi's are pre-shrunk, there will always be a little bit extra shrinkage - about 5% on the 550gsm gold weave and 2% on the Pearl Weaves.

The cotton we use is top grade, we done 14 months testing and went through about 10 different suppliers before going to market to make sure it was 100% right. We may be cheaper than other companies but its not down to cost cutting, we just take a much smaller profit margin as we are in this for the long haul.

The factory that makes our Gi's also makes them for some of the bigger names that charge double for the exact same product, albeit ours is all embroidered with no patchwork.

All our Gi's are hand stitched with extra reinforcement in the stress areas

We stand over our products and when we had an issue with our first batch of white gi's being over treated and there were some issues with them ripping, we immediately contacted anybody who bought one and offer a replacement jacket and got rid of the rest of that stock. This is how serious we are about what we offer.

If anybody has a question, feel free to PM me :-) If I don't get back asap, its because I may be away but I will respond!

So does wolfhound do sponsorship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mellor wrote: »
    So does wolfhound do sponsorship :D

Just go win the Irish Open... I think there's a Wolfhound prize floating around somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭RoboRat

So does wolfhound do sponsorship

We do, we sponsor Neil Seery, Sam McNally, Roger Dardis, Brendan McGarry, Lee Hammond, Tom Halpin & Darren Curtis. We have a few other irons in the fire and we get a lot of requests and the answer is always the same, if you are medaling and a good rep for the brand, we are happy to talk :-)

Obviously we are a young brand so there is only so much we can do, but we try to help out wherever and whenever possible.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Just go win the Irish Open... I think there's a Wolfhound prize floating around somewhere :D
    Its a bit far away for me.
    But I'll prob enter the NSW open, and Australian open, maybe the Pan Pacs.

RoboRat wrote: »
    We do, we sponsor Neil Seery, Sam McNally, Roger Dardis, Brendan McGarry, Lee Hammond, Tom Halpin & Darren Curtis. We have a few other irons in the fire and we get a lot of requests and the answer is always the same, if you are medaling and a good rep for the brand, we are happy to talk :-)

Obviously we are a young brand so there is only so much we can do, but we try to help out wherever and whenever possible.

Some very good guys in that list and I've had the pleasure to roll with some of them as well.

Advertisement