Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling abroad for triathlons

Options
  • 08-04-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Interested to hear of peoples experiences travelling abroad for triathlons. I was thinking it'd be nice to go somewhere for a holiday and getting a race in while I was there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What distance are you thinking of traveling for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

I'd be interested in doing sprint (or possibly Olympic) distances somewhere in Europe. Although I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences from across the world - (travelling with gear & bikes, language barriers, standards in different countries, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I've only raced in Spain and Denmark. Both events were really well organised. No language issues. Road surfaces much better than here.

Aer Lingus can be hit and miss for bringing bikes as it's a first come first served policy. They also have a limited number of bikes per flight. Ryanair allow you book the bike when booking your flight so there's more peace of mind there.

Apparently some of the races in Lanza are good too.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Brought my bike to Belgium, Majorca, Austria, UK. Ryanair are good, though don't go overweight with the box. Aerlingus I would not recommend, excess fees and broken luggage, a nightmare. Be careful when flying in to very big events, sometimes bikes get offloaded from full flights and get put on later flights, so leave enough time in case that happens. Consider using a bike transport company like shipmytribike.

Language is not a problem, in most european countries the population will have a smattering of english. I have a restricted diet and that can sometimes be awkward when trying to eat right before a race.

I've been looking at the Skoda Triathlon Series in Spain this year. There are events on throughout the summer. I was thinking perhaps Majorca or Sevilla at the start of September.

Going by some of the above stories, I'd nearly be better off renting out a bike over there. Seems to be a lot of hassle to bring your own abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

It's not really that much hassle. You get a good bike box, pack it right, check it in and collect it the far end. Your regular luggage has a chance of getting damaged or lost every time you check in a bag, but is it enough to stop you checking it in? We all have had, or know people who have had bags delayed while traveling but sure we take the risk anyway.

Obviously, the bikes are a more at risk item and nobody likes the thought of their pride and joy getting fired around the place by baggage handlers!! With regard to Aer Lingus vs Ryanair, I know what pgibbo is saying. You have to ring AL after you book your flights online and then add the bike using a booking reference number. I booked a flight a few weeks ago with this method and have done a few in the past with no issues. I have a friend who gets paranoid and insists on booking his flights with AL over the phone so as he gets the bike on all in one go. Oryx also makes a valid point, particularly for the big Ironman races I imagine. If you are making a few days out of the trip then I imagine you could get around this by heading out a few days before the race.

With renting, be mindful that it may be difficult to get a TT bike/bike in your size for hire depending on where you go or demand around the time of the race.

On a related note, I was in Gran Canaria a few weeks ago and we were having the recurring debate of renting for the week vs. bringing the bike. We were thinking if you checked in a bag you were nearly better off bringing a bike box as you could stuff it to near max weight with your kit, helmet, nutrition etc and could manage with a carry on for the rest.

Even given the hassles of bringing a bike, i wouldn't hire. I like my own beast too much, and a hire bike is never going to suit you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

If you don't want pay to for a designed bike box you can get one for free from any bike shop (cardboard box). It worked for me many times. You need to remove pedals, handlebar and secure with some bubble plastic.

I also put in a lot of traning/racing gears as well. Max weight is 35kg as far as I remember.

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    If you don't want pay to for a designed bike box you can get one for free from any bike shop (cardboard box). It worked for me many times. You need to remove pedals, handlebar and secure with some bubble plastic.

I also put in a lot of traning/racing gears as well. Max weight is 35kg as far as I remember.
    20kg+ was overweight with ryanair and over 30kg and they could refuse to take it at all. Aerlingus max weight was 15kg after which they could (but didnt always) charge excess fees. These may have changed, its been a while since I flew with them... but read the small print.

Oryx wrote: »
    20kg+ was overweight with ryanair and over 30kg and they could refuse to take it at all. Aerlingus max weight was 15kg after which they could (but didnt always) charge excess fees. These may have changed, its been a while since I flew with them... but read the small print.
    Just to clarify. I referred to bulk item policy hence higher weight limits and higher charge apply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Did an olympic in Lanzarote, was just starting out, first season in tri, was taking my family, 3 year old included, buggies, bags, so rented a bike over there.

at the time, i was doing the race for enjoyment rather than really chasing a time. didn;t have a tri bike, so was just going from one road bike to another.

given those circumstances, renting was the right call. and now with two kids if i was going on a holiday , and doing a race just for fun and something to do while on holiday, i'd rent again.

if however, i was going abroad for the race, and the holiday was the secondary goal, or the holiday was because of the race, then the tri bike would be coming with me, even if i had to pack one of the little ones in the bike case too.

(i joke. would never put a kid in the bike case. the wife maybe. but never the kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I'm not allowed post the link but if you google "martinhal triathlon" it's the top link.

Myself and a friend were looking at going abroad at the end of season last year. We narrowed it down to this race but didn't get doing it in the end. I did like the sound of it a lot and it's a great location.

One thing that was very appealing to me was that they would arrange to rent you a bike for the race. They had on the site that they would get you the right size if you sent them the measurements, depending on availability. I know that's not for everyone but I'd much prefer it, especially if it's close to being the right size bike. No info yet about this year's race.

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Just to clarify. I referred to bulk item policy hence higher weight limits and higher charge apply.

Aerlingus bike/bulky items used to be 15kg.

Oryx wrote: »
    Aerlingus bike/bulky items used to be 15kg.

And are now 23kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Recently was in Lanzarote for a week. Brought the bike and flew Ryanair 50 each way. Used one of those soft shell cases for the first time. Was well impressed.used all the straps provided to lock your bike in place. Took pedals, handlebars (lay on side ) and saddle off ... Fit loads of clothes in comfortably so only had to bring a carry on ( which i actually checked in for free) they never weighed my bike box at all but it was no more than 25kgs with everything in. Going on family holiday i always rent a bike. But if its a training week or race i bring my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Bikes on Ryanair are max 30kg
    Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I've taken my bike to Italy, Turkey and Singapore and never had any real issues other than Singapore Airlines wanting to charge €600 as it was over weight. Aer Lingus didn't weight it on the way out so assumed it was fine. Took a few things out and spread them across luggage and it was ok. That's the only time it's ever been weighed.

This year heading to Mallorca twice and using ShipmyTribike. Never used them before but it's worth the extra cost in my opinion as it just makes things easier. Trying to find a taxi when you've 2 bike boxes is challenging - 1 is bad enough.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Based on all that, I probably will travel with my bike if I do go

Advertisement