Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence Expired, Need Advice on Where I Stand Now

Options
  • 08-04-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I got a provisional licence in 2008 and drove for a couple of years.
    I had to sell my car so I basically stopped driving altogether.
    I didn't take my driving test.
    My provisional licence expired in 2013.

What steps do I need to take to in order to get a new learner permit and apply for and take my driving test?

• Afaik, I'll need to resit the theory test before reapplying for the new learner permit. Is this correct?

• What about the 12 EDT lesson requirement? Is this a requirement for a second permit? I did take a certified 10 lesson course with a local school at the time.

• Will the 6 month exclusion period before taking the test apply to me?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If your permit expired in 2013, you have until 2018 to renew it before you revert to complete "newbie" status on the NDLS system. You don't need to re-sit the theory test, and since you got the permit before April 2011 you don't need to do EDT either. The six-month waiting thing doesn't apply. So, good news Ted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Jesus, that's better news than I expected, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

jimgoose wrote: »
    If your permit expired in 2013, you have until 2018 to renew it before you revert to complete "newbie" status on the NDLS system. You don't need to re-sit the theory test, and since you got the permit before April 2011 you don't need to do EDT either. The six-month waiting thing doesn't apply. So, good news Ted! :D

does this mean you have a 5 year period where you can re new your learner permit - or do you just mean 2018 is the closing date for doing something like this? I am in a similar situation myself, only different been I was on my 3rd learner permit - would the circumstances be the same for me?

messrs wrote: »
    does this mean you have a 5 year period where you can re new your learner permit - or do you just mean 2018 is the closing date for doing something like this? I am in a similar situation myself, only different been I was on my 3rd learner permit - would the circumstances be the same for me?

What I mean is, you have five years from the date of expiry of a learner permit within which to renew it. After that, you are treated as a first-time applicant for the particular vehicle category. For a full driver's license, that time-limit is ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

jimgoose wrote: »
    What I mean is, you have five years from the date of expiry of a learner permit within which to renew it. After that, you are treated as a first-time applicant for the particular vehicle category. For a full driver's license, that time-limit is ten years.

That's great, thanks for that :)

• Advertisement

messrs wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for that :)

You are welcome. Bear in mind in your case you'll need evidence of a forthcoming driving test appointment, in which case you'll be able to get a 1-year permit, or evidence of having recently failed a driving test, in which case you'll get a 2-year permit. Best of luck.

Advertisement