Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland - late August

Options
  • 08-04-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of going to Iceland August 25th to 30th. The plan would be to fly into Reykjavik from Dublin with Wowair. Not sure wheather to stay in Reykjavik all 5 nights or wheather to stay in Reykjavik for some nights and another area for the rest. Any advice?

My main reason for going is to see the natural landscape, but of course I would do anything to see the Northern Lights. Is there certain parts of Iceland that you would be more likely to see them at this time of year?

Also on driving, I am 25 and currently have a provisional Irish license. Im hoping to have full license before August but would a provisional do to rent a car in Iceland?

Any general help is much appreciated,
    Regards,
    SoCo

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usually for renting a car you need to have had your full licence for at least two years.

You could do a few tours from a company such as this one among theirs is one to the Northern Lights - they may even do a discount if you take a few tours with them, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

You would be very unlikely to see aurora at that time. March or late september would be a better bet but not at all guaranteed. Autumn will be in full swing in late august. Id recommend getting out of reykjavik. One thing i would definitely do if i went back would be an air tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Reykjavik is a savage party town at the weekend. Starts late and goes till 7/8 AM

Advertisement