Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered but leaving abroad

Options
  • 08-04-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have recently moved to the UK. I know that I can't vote as I'm not living in Ireland. But I was put on the electoral register years ago and as far as I know, I haven't been removed.

I happen to be home in Ireland the weekend of the referendum in May and would not be surprised to see a polling card arrive at my family home along with the rest of my family's. I'm wondering would I be doing anything wrong if I vote?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

JTalker123 wrote: »
    I'm wondering would I be doing anything wrong if I vote?

Regardless of whether you are no the register or not, if you apply for a voting paper when you are not entitled to vote you are committing an offence and the presiding officer can order the on duty Guard to arrest you. That said, you may in fact still entitled to vote if you meeting the criteria set out here.

It has been of over thirty years ago since I was involved in an Irish election but as I remember it, if you are not entitled to vote you can expect something along the following lines to happen:

During polling, each candidate is entitled to appoint one or two agents to a polling station to ensure that the vote is carried out according to the law. They are entitled to challenge you if they believe you are not entitled to vote in the election. At this point you are basically screwed because the presiding office will be asked to administer the oath and if you refuse.... the presiding officer will order your arrest, on the other hand if you take the oath you will be digging a deeper hole! You'll be allowed to vote, but the Guards will then be asked to investigate and report their findings to the DPP and you'll have your day in court.

The election agents are usually people who know the area and people well, so if you are voting in a small town or community then it is very likely that you will be challenged. On the other hand if you you are voting in a city you will probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Who can vote in elections and referenda?

You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.

While you may be entitled to register as a voter due to your residency, there may be a limit on the types of elections in which you can vote. The registration authority will need to know your citizenship because this will determine the elections at which you may vote.

The right to vote is as follows:

Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
    British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections;
    Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections*
    Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.
    *If you are an EU citizen, other than an Irish or British citizen, and you were not registered to vote in previous European elections in Ireland, you must also complete a declaration, Form EP1, to guard against double voting in the election. The local council will register you to vote in your local constituency and send the information in your declaration to your home EU Member State. You can also get the form from your local authority.

You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, (for example, if you are a student living away from home), you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address.

If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether you are no the register or not, if you apply for a voting paper when you are not entitled to vote you are committing an offence and the presiding officer can order the on duty Guard to arrest you. That said, you may in fact still entitled to vote if you meeting the criteria set out here.

It has been of over thirty years ago since I was involved in an Irish election but as I remember it, if you are not entitled to vote you can expect something along the following lines to happen:

During polling, each candidate is entitled to appoint one or two agents to a polling station to ensure that the vote is carried out according to the law. They are entitled to challenge you if they believe you are not entitled to vote in the election. At this point you are basically screwed because the presiding office will be asked to administer the oath and if you refuse.... the presiding officer will order your arrest, on the other hand if you take the oath you will be digging a deeper hole! You'll be allowed to vote, but the Guards will then be asked to investigate and report their findings to the DPP and you'll have your day in court.

The election agents are usually people who know the area and people well, so if you are voting in a small town or community then it is very likely that you will be challenged. On the other hand if you you are voting in a city you will probably get away with it.

A person who has lived out of the country for less than 18 months can vote here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement