Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it more expensive for two leg trip??

Options
  • 08-04-2015 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

I live in Oman and fly home via Abu Dhabi about 4-6 times a year.

I will most likely be moving to Dubai, which give me a nice option or direct flights from AD and DXB. Sweet I am thinking, my flights will be cheaper. I had a look at flights from AD home (Dublin) and they are significantly more expensive then if I went from Muscat-AD-DUB. For business 1400 euro difference! Ditto for Emirates comparing Muscat-DXB- DUB to DXB-DUB.

Whats the craic? is there a way around it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Different markets have different prices. If you're marketing to Oman heavily you'll charge less than other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

It is across the board, BA, Etihad, KLM, Emirates. All cheaper for a longer journey.

Same time and plane for the AHD-DUB or DXB-DUB, but if you add a Muscat leg it becomes so much cheaper.

Can I book a Muscat-AHD-DUB trip and just say I ended up in AHD and get on the plane there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Jude13 wrote: »

Can I book a Muscat-AHD-DUB trip and just say I ended up in AHD and get on the plane there?

Normally if you miss a flight the whole reservation is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Yes it's all about marketing. Hidden-city ticket discovery is a popular tactic for business travellers in the USA but seems to be less common in Europe.

If you are going to take a gamble on booking the cheaper flight, make sure to book the return leg separately. So if the airline does cancel you as a no-show on the outbound leg then your return from Dublin won't be affected.

Booking two single journeys ramps the price up even more.

What the hell is hidden city ticket? I want to use less cities.

AHhh

IN summary:

MCT-AHD-DUB = 1,100

AHD-DUB = 1,800 (same flight times etc as the above.)

Its madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Booking two single journeys ramps the price up even more.

What the hell is hidden city ticket? I want to use less cities.

AHhh

IN summary:

MCT-AHD-DUB = 1,100

AHD-DUB = 1,800 (same flight times etc as the above.)

Its madness

Drive 5 hours to Muscat, then get the flight ? :)

Or....I have no idea as to whether this would work, but you must be a frequent flyer. Ring the airline and schmooze them?

I currently live in Muscat and am moving to the UAE. I was thinking my flights would be cheaper being one less leg.

The drive to Muscat would take 5-8 hours, depending on traffic so not worth it.

I just got bumped down from gold to silver member on Etihad. My thinking that it will be a luxury flying non-stop home to Dublin when I move to the UAE seems have disappeared as I will probably still end up with a 14 hour flight with KLM and stop in schipol due to the cost increase.

That definitely sucks, but sometimes paying that bit extra is worth it for the convenience/comfort. At least you have the option of a direct flight!

1,400 euro more is just way beyond too much and especially when its one less flight. Boo hoo me.

Right, I actually thought that was the return price. Was thinking an extra 350 each way wouldn't be too bad. Ooops.

• Advertisement

Sorry I confused it by using different currencys. I said 1400 euro difference and that on the return fare (OMR1,800 - OMR1,100= OMR 700 which is roughly Euro 1,400)

Why don't you ring the airline, say you're booking from Muscat but you're not sure whether you'll be in Abu Dhabi or Muscat on the day, Muscat being more likely. Ask them would that be a problem if you missed out on first leg of the journey.

You may as well put the feelers out. I'd try it, I've certainly done my time stopping over at the randomest of airports around the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Better suited to Travel methinks, moved from Aviation and aircraft.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Better suited to Travel methinks, moved from Aviation and aircraft.

I was hoping someone in the aviation industry may be able to explain. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It's always been the case, for the Airline its about competing in another market.

E.G. If you book from Amsterdam - Wherever with KLM booking the same flight from Antwerp train station is cheaper because KLM trying to compete in the Belgian market, just part of the connection is a bus you must take.

Same as booking from Dusseldorf with a flight connecting in Amsterdam is cheaper.

Or even from the London Heathrow/Gatwick with KLM is usually cheaper than in Amsterdam.

Similarly British Airways are competing with KLM in the Dutch market so many times flights from Amsterdam with BA are cheaper than KLM.

So yes, many times an indirect flight is cheaper, or even open jaws can be very cheap (Flight out of one airport and back to another)

Try booking a one way flight with KLM from Amsterdam - Berlin, usually around 600 euros whereas a return is 120-140 euros.

It's always been the case, for the Airline its about competing in another market.

E.G. If you book from Amsterdam - Wherever with KLM booking the same flight from Antwerp train station is cheaper because KLM trying to compete in the Belgian market, just part of the connection is a bus you must take.

Same as booking from Dusseldorf with a flight connecting in Amsterdam is cheaper.

Or even from the London Heathrow/Gatwick with KLM is usually cheaper than in Amsterdam.

Similarly British Airways are competing with KLM in the Dutch market so many times flights from Amsterdam with BA are cheaper than KLM.

So yes, many times an indirect flight is cheaper, or even open jaws can be very cheap (Flight out of one airport and back to another)

Try booking a one way flight with KLM from Amsterdam - Berlin, usually around 600 euros whereas a return is 120-140 euros.

Cheers for the reply, I think I havent explained myself correctly as I think you are portraying a scenario opposite of what I am trying to get across "So yes, many times an indirect flight is cheaper, or even open jaws can be very cheap (Flight out of one airport and back to another)"

I get that (the above) indirect flights are cheaper which have the same origin and end. However what I have queried is if on the same day, with the same airline using the same flight that it is more expensive to fly from Dubai to dublin than what I am currently doing, which is flying from Muscat (1 hour flight) and then getting on the exact same flight as I would have had it originated in Dubai, at it is cheaper.

It's too do with targeting specific markets. Dublin - New York can be more expensive than Dublin - New York - Another American city even if its the same flight to New York.

Airline pricing is extremely complicated. In this case, the airline thinks people flying Dubai - Dublin will pay more than Muscat - Dublin.

Sometimes it's down to taxes too not sure in this case.

I get that but it falls down as the planes are full so they could fill the plane in Dubai at a higher price.

I get that but it falls down as the planes are full so they could fill the plane in Dubai at a higher price.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean they could fill the plane just with people flying Dublin - Dubai and not connections?

Its about maintaining market share, maximising profits. The guys in pricing know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Flight ticket pricing is an art and is also looked at dynaically for any sensible airline. Etihad or Emirates will price more keenly outside their home markets to ensure a reasonable proportion of Gulf originated traffic. Pricing to the highest point at a peak time of demand will not always deliver the greatest revenue over time as it might permit a competitor (e.g Omanair) to create a beachhead.

It has been very common in the establshed markets, esp when dealing with UK originated flights, for a long time. Recently Dublin has taken on a significant role in what are termed ex-EU flights for BA customers where LOndon originating customers fl to Dublin then turn around, get back on the plane to London and ultimately fly on to their ultimate destination whether that be in North America or east Asia. I have seen €1200 fares where the LOndon originating flight is £3,200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can I recommend flyertalk.com? The guys over there know this subject and all things flying inside out. It's also a good source of bargain flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

athtrasna wrote: »
    Can I recommend flyertalk.com? The guys over there know this subject and all things flying inside out.

I'd wager two of the contributors to the thread thus far are FT members.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheers for the reply, I think I havent explained myself correctly as I think you are portraying a scenario opposite of what I am trying to get across "So yes, many times an indirect flight is cheaper, or even open jaws can be very cheap (Flight out of one airport and back to another)"

I get that (the above) indirect flights are cheaper which have the same origin and end. However what I have queried is if on the same day, with the same airline using the same flight that it is more expensive to fly from Dubai to dublin than what I am currently doing, which is flying from Muscat (1 hour flight) and then getting on the exact same flight as I would have had it originated in Dubai, at it is cheaper.

Yes its clear, you are thinking of the physical carrier/aircraft.
    Think of it more as a point to point , the fare of flights for a flight in the middle of a routing rarely has a bearing on the cost.

An exception would be when a main airline has a codeshare/partnership with a budget / point - point airline such as Aer Lingus, Germanwings, Transavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Airlines give discounts to people travelling from the other guys base, while trying to cover their costs from the direct flights from their own base. Air Canada will give you a good deal flying to Philadelphia via Toronto, they have to give a good deal in this case as unless the price is keen nobody would fly that way. We in Ireland can often fly via Paris or Frankfurt to Asia for less than people in Paris or Frankfurt, because we have to connect anyway we compare different routes and the prices are competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

OP I agree it is ridiculous on the face of it but these kind of pricing structures do exist for valid reasons in the eyes of the airlines. For example, I recently booked a return flight form Cork to Bangkok with British Airways for this June. It was €670 in total.

For the craic, I said i'd see how much the BA LHR-BKK segment alone was, low and behold, around €970. I did this search using skyscanner and obviously when I put in LHR-BKK for that date, there were much cheaper options with one stop(€500-600 range) but the direct flights (Despite there being three operators offering direct flights on the route, BA, Thai and EVA Air), the direct flights were a minimum of €770.

I think in this case, the thinking on BA's part is that people will be willing to pay extra for a direct flight without any hassle of stopovers. I think its probably much the ssme in your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Zonda999 wrote: »
    OP I agree it is ridiculous on the face of it but these kind of pricing structures do exist for valid reasons in the eyes of the airlines. For example, I recently booked a return flight form Cork to Bangkok with British Airways for this June. It was €670 in total.

For the craic, I said i'd see how much the BA LHR-BKK segment alone was, low and behold, around €970. I did this search using skyscanner and obviously when I put in LHR-BKK for that date, there were much cheaper options with one stop(€500-600 range) but the direct flights (Despite there being three operators offering direct flights on the route, BA, Thai and EVA Air), the direct flights were a minimum of €770.

I think in this case, the thinking on BA's part is that people will be willing to pay extra for a direct flight without any hassle of stopovers. I think its probably much the ssme in your case

It's more to do with the fact that BA know that connections are an inconvenience and therefore have to price appealingly. For example, Dublin to New York will often be cheaper with BA through London because they have to account for the fact that people can fly direct with many different options, so price them appealingly. Also population of the catchment areas of the airports etc will play a part (more people in London have to use LHR so they can charge more). Flight pricing is virtually a science haha.

Advertisement