Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work for Teachers not paid on Holidays?

Options
  • 08-04-2015 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys, substitute secondary teacher here, just qualified last year, non casual, literally waiting day to day to hear about work, some weeks are good, others quiet. I teach History and English. Job Prospects really are awful right now but will hold on all the same.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any education jobs going during the summer months that would call upon my qualifications I guess. I dont get paid during the summer obviously so Im searching high and low for summer work so that I dont go into the red. I've applied for supervising the exams ect, but it won't pay the bills due in July or August. I'm throwing out CV's to every shop in Cork City as well where I live, but if anyone knew of any places looking for people along the lines of teaching, summer activities, I'd be most grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Slightly different teaching, but how about language schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Don't you need a tefl qualification for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Don't you need a tefl qualification for that?

If the school want to maintain their accreditation with ACELS or whoever then they would need to survive an inspection during the summer. Proof of qualifications is usually looked for by the inspector. In saying all that... I worked in accredited places before and they took on english teachers with no TEFL 120 hrs course, it was funny the panic that ensued when an inspector arrived during the summer. A little bit of creative shunting around had to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

July provision, although the actual pay date for that isn't until November. Nice boost in time for Christmas if you can get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Redser87 wrote: »
    July provision, although the actual pay date for that isn't until November. Nice boost in time for Christmas if you can get it though.

Yeah and they always looking for qualified secondary school teachers. No database as such for you to make contact with parents but try your local Enable Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Rollercoaster.ie often has people looking for people to do July provision, but I do personally feel you need some training in special ed for it.

ETA educationposts.ie also has a section for parents looking for teachers for JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Summer camps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Superintending and correcting exams?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Too late to apply for both, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Scríbe, reader or superintendent of a special centre? Only worth the money if you're not on the higher rate of tax, imo.

• Advertisement

Too late to apply for both, I think?

At this stage of the game (with so many deadlines revisited!) Id say just send it in with a letter with application to say your circumstances have changed and you're now available.

They might still be stuck yet! Maybe if you had an aunty/address you could use in dublin for the superintending.

Online applications have reopened for correcting.

Am I surprised. Looks like the weariness from having to do pointless extra Croke Park hours and S&S is finally coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

elsa21 wrote: »
    Hey guys, substitute secondary teacher here, just qualified last year, non casual, literally waiting day to day to hear about work, some weeks are good, others quiet. I teach History and English. Job Prospects really are awful right now but will hold on all the same.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any education jobs going during the summer months that would call upon my qualifications I guess. I dont get paid during the summer obviously so Im searching high and low for summer work so that I dont go into the red. I've applied for supervising the exams ect, but it won't pay the bills due in July or August. I'm throwing out CV's to every shop in Cork City as well where I live, but if anyone knew of any places looking for people along the lines of teaching, summer activities, I'd be most grateful

Would you consider becoming a grammar (and style) Nazi and proofreading doctoral and master's theses? I used to do it and the summer was generally busy because there was a September or November deadline for submission. I started by putting up an online ad, and one person who contacted me recommended me to his friends who were also completing around that time. From that I just kept getting more work, mostly from postgraduate students whose native language was not English. You could do up an A4 flyer and drop it into tutors' rooms in CIT or UCC and stick flyers up around various departments. Try putting them in the coffee shops, newsagents and launderette on university campus. Be enterprising and suggest that if a few postgraduate friends give you their theses you'll give them a group discount. It is possible to get between €500 and €550 for each doctoral thesis you proofread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where are you seeing that? Can't find it myself.

spurious wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that? Can't find it myself.

I got an email about it, I didn't check it out.

They are definitely still looking for people for some subjects.

Whatever about cp and s&s hours, pension levy would definitely put you off correcting, it's an awful chunk of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I got an email about it, I didn't check it out.

They are definitely still looking for people for some subjects.

Whatever about cp and s&s hours, pension levy would definitely put you off correcting, it's an awful chunk of it.

I'm doing the superintending this year again. I actually like it but you're right the pension levy makes this things not that worthwhile financially at all.

Advertisement