Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lemania

Options
  • 08-04-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Spotted a dusty and slightly battered small Lemania watch in a secondhand shop today down south. About 34 mm I reckon, Arabic numeral face, I didn't get get any pics. It kind of took my fancy, I reckon i could get it for about 120/130 euro, although it is marked up for more.
    I had a look on the bay/chrono24 etc, seems like similar Lemanias being advertised for a fair bit more.
    Anyone know anything about them, and what their real worth is?
    I know the movements in some pretty iconic watches are Lemania... but I didn't realise they did actual branded pieces as such.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh they did alright TedR. Some nice watches too. Worth? Chrono24 tend to be dealer prices which are usually "buoyant" so to speak, ditto for dealers on the Bay. Look at open auctions to get an idea of what you'd get one for. Still if you can get a vintage Lemania that more importantly you like for 120/30 quid that's not too shabby.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Thanks Wibbs

I might go take another look at it today
    I guess I am unlikely to wear it much as it is so small, and it prob needs a service, strap etc, so I am himming and hawing

But it is calling to me a bit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

are you buying it because you like it and will wear it, or simply because you think its cheap/a good deal?

Ive fallen into this trap before, i buy as its a good price, and think i will wear it, but it ends up never getting wrist time as i wasnt really into the watch, just in the good price and ultimately it gets sold on, usually at a loss.

Horology is one of the few pastimes where I would say that the price is secondary consideration, and what you want comes first.

We are spending a lot of money on whats effectively an obsolete piece of jewellery, so not buying for functionality, we are buying for style, and some internal vision of what the watch looks like on our wrists and in some cases, a sense of smug superiority!

But as its not something that is truly a functional purchase, but a look and a feeling you are buying, you have to go on that first, and then work out if/how you can afford it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Very wise words there fret-w should be made a sticky imo. I'd say we've all bought something and later regretted it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement