Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a mobile phone contract, implications?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have 18 months left on a Vodafone contract. It's €60 a month and is a 4G plan. For 4.5 weeks now they have been unable to provide me with 4G. I reported it at the time then a few times per week thereafter. Each time I contacted them they had an excuse and said that it would be back in 24 hours etc etc.

I understand they cover themselves with T&Cs about minimum levels of service etc, but they heavily market this as a 4G plan with great coverage etc etc. I know there is perfect 4G coverage at home yet I haven't had 4G anywhere for 4.5 weeks.

My feeling is that I gave them long enough to sort it in 4.5 weeks and I think I will change to another provider tomorrow. I know they will hit me with a big early termination charge, but I would feel confident that they are not keeping to their side of the contract and I have given them a long time to sort it and they seem unable. Where do I stand with this viewpoint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Have you read Vodafone's t&cs?They don't guarantee any level of service!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yes, but at the same time they advertise the plan as a 4G plan with 90% population coverage. I have had no access to this 4G now for almost 5 weeks when a friends phone next to me has it no problem.

I'd argue they are failing to provide the contracted service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What phone is it? Might sound silly but is 4G enabled on your phone?
    You didn't actually state it but I presume your friend is also on Vodafone? If so, why don't you do a SIM swap as a quick test. That will tell you if it's the phone or your SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

How have you decided that its a network issue,and not a faulty phone issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep 100% certain it's not a faulty phone, I can get 4G when I put his sim card into my phone. He is also Vodafone. When I phoned Vodafone they said there is a 4G bar on my account, they have been trying to remove it for almost 5 weeks and can't. They keep saying 24 hours but no joy.

This all began 5 weeks ago when some calls were going straight to voicemail. They "reset my settings" and the trouble started then, it was working fine up to then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Fairly ridiculous they can't remove the bar on 4G data.

Might help if you get a SIM Swap done in store. First see if Talk To Vodafone guys are able to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Fairly ridiculous they can't remove the bar on 4G data.

Might help if you get a SIM Swap done in store. First see if Talk To Vodafone guys are able to help!

The problem was resolved yesterday without cancelling the contract.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057394300/2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as the issue was resolved in a parallel thread.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement