Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English MA

Options
  • 07-04-2015 8:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

I was hoping I could get some information here about pursuing a Master's in English in TCD. My undergrad modules, I feel may not be in direct correlation to the MA choices available. I emailed the coordinator and got no reply. I was wondering about the personal statement to apply for the various courses. If my degree is not as such matching the themed MA, is there any point in going after it or have I as much as a chance as anyone? What exactly are they looking for in relation to taking students on and how many per MA are given places? Has anyone studied these taught classes and could give me some advice please. I don't think the entry level will be a problem as my grades were excellent but am worried about personal studied experience. I should note that English was one of my subjects too, just in case that wasn't clear.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

Hi,

While I did my MA in English elsewhere, a few of my classmates did theirs in TCD last year. If English was one of your subjects at UG level, it shouldn't matter much which MA pathway you choose. I know someone who chose an MA in an area that we didn't cover in our BA. I can't see why you wouldn't stand as good a chance as anyone else applying.

If your academic performance to date has been consistent and you're passionate, or genuinely interested in their MA course, then that should be more than enough.

In your personal statement, emphasise your academic strengths, i.e. your academic growth to date, etc. Talk about why you want to pursue this particular area of literature, why TCD, and so on.

I hope that's of some help to you. Good luck!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Can I ask people what the story is with a conditional offer? They need another reference and supporting documentation of my results.

Advertisement